Thread: windows xp (gateway) and slackware

windows xp (gateway) and slackware

On my slackware box I have an ISA Etherlink III (3c905B), and on the xp box, I have some PCI card.. I am using a crossover cat5 cable.. where should I start? I want file sharing (both ways), and internet sharing.

Thanks

Re:windows xp (gateway) and slackware

ok, got xp to recognize there IS a network connection (*mild curses*).. set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 (this is the gateway box).. the ip is 192.168.0.1 and on slack I ran ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 . the only problem is that my pings are never successful. 100% packet loss both ways.. this is not good.. any ideas?

alright, now that that is fixed, how do I setup internet connection sharing and samba?

samba has many methods of use, i'm no expert and in need of reading the docs myself but:
    from linux smbclient -L //192.168.0.1 should show you all the shares on xp to connect you can do smbclient //192.168.0.1/sharename and use this like command line ftp. if you want to actually mount then you'll need to read docs from http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samb...ollection.html

as for internet sharing, who is connecting to the internet? linux or xp? from what you said it's sounding like xp. does xp come with internet sharing stuff? if so maybe (doubtful) it uses standards and you can just set the gateway on linux to 192.168.0.1 (route add default gw 192.168.0.1) and that will work.

also a note for internet sharing, after you do the route add to test if it works test using an ip not dns, like 216.109.125.71 is yahoo. if ips work and hostnames dont then fix your /etc/resolv.conf putting in the same dns server as xp uses.

sorry if this is to general, i was trying to briefly cover everything.

if linux is to be the one connecting to the internet i can help you more.

good luck

Yep, Linux is the one I am trying to get on the net. I tested it using an ip, and I got a 'network is unreachable' error from links..

one other thing to look at on the xp computer is make sure that the builtin firewall is off it will mess with other devices using it as a gateway. To test this see if you can hit the msn site from the linux computer if you can then it is probably blocking some sites that are requested by other computers then itself. You will probably have to make the win machine your nameserver as well unless you know the ip of your real nameserver.

XP has a Network Wizard that works pretty well. Basically, it creates a workgroup and activates Internet Connection Sharing. After that, is just a matter of setting the Slack box to DHCP or assign it an ip address, and use the XP box as the gateway. You may need to specify the correct DNS servers, though.
    To access the wizard, righ-click on the Network icon on Windows, and select properties. It should show the connection. On the panel to the left, there should be a button for creating a home network.

Thanks guys! I now have the internet on the linux box, and I am getting samba figured out

ok, I have samba setup to mount the shared docs folder on the xp box, but how do I get the windows box to look a shared folder on slack?

If everything is set up ok you should be able to get there through network neighborhood. I don't currently have samba set up but I believe that you just drill down to your share that way. There is also a feature that allows you to map a network drive that you can put on your desktop.