Thread: RH 8.0 Kernel update kills X

RH 8.0 Kernel update kills X

Red Hat up2date pestered me again to, among other things, upgrade from 2.4.18-18xxxx 2.4.18-24xxxx. I did so and the X server can't start. That is probably imprecise, it may be that the XFree86 config is not right for 18-24. Beats me. Not a big deal, I rebooted thru GRUB and went to 18-18 and all works as before. Does updating the cause previous config info to be ignored? Do I need to run Anaconda or copy my 18-18 XFree config in another location?

Re:RH 8.0 Kernel update kills X

Have you compiled any drivers before updating the kernel? I know when I update or recompile my kernel, I have to recompile my NVIDIA drivers or else X won't start up.

Yeah, re-installing the Nvidia drivers is all you should have to do make it work again. I'm running that exact same kernel and it works for me fine with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Yeah and it's real easy to if you compile the drivers from source. Just a 'make' in both the NVIDA_Kernel and NVIDIA_GLX directories and you can get back to X.

I thought the command was "make install."

Anyway that assumes you're running a nvidia driver.

If reinstalling your video drivers doesn't work, you can always reconfigure X. BEFORE YOU DO: Backup your /etc/X11/XF86Config file. Make a copy and call it /etc/X11/XF86Config_original or something. That way you can be guaranteed you won't screw up X like I have so many times. But anyway the command to reconfigure X is "xf86config" as root. You'll have to answer some questions but with a little luck you'll be up and running in no time.

Does X give any errors when it starts up and won't work?

Good Guru

no just make.

but to second (well, fourth really ....) everyone else, the nVIDIA kernel module is built for one kernel only (hence the name 'kernel module'). So upgrading the kernel will break it. Just redo the installation of the kernel module (if you still have the source laying aroud, do a 'make clean' and then a 'make').

Kernel module -> tied to kernel version. The light goes on!!
    So.... I should also expect to find my ability to read the NTFS partion killed in 18-24 until I upgrade that module also.
    I have no idea what else dies as a result of this upgrade. It sounds to me like:
    1.) There needs to be a compelling reason to upgrade the kernel.
    2.) I need to have a complete inventory of affected modules at hand.
    Anyone have best practices to share? Thanks!

Good Guru

[quote author=drydiggins link=board=1;threadid=6445;start=0#60796 date=1046196626]
    Kernel module -> tied to kernel version. The light goes on!!
    So.... I should also expect to find my ability to read the NTFS partion killed in 18-24 until I upgrade that module also.
    I have no idea what else dies as a result of this upgrade. It sounds to me like:
    1.) There needs to be a compelling reason to upgrade the kernel.
    2.) I need to have a complete inventory of affected modules at hand.
    Anyone have best practices to share? Thanks!
    [/quote]

1) Generally. But do an install of the RPM or package and do not upgrade. This allows you to keep the old one handy. I have all of the kernels still on my drive. From the first one upon release of 8.0 to the most recent. I keep the latest 2 in grub. Never know what oddities will occur in ANY upgrade, much less the main part of the OS itself !

2) Yes. Know what is going on with your system and any problem that does occur can be easily tackled. It appears you made two modifications to the kernel, NTFS and nVIDIA. Not a big deal. Minor in the end. Just remember that before you can use the new kernel effectively on your system, you will need to recompile NTFS into it and rebuild the nVIDIA module before loading X.

After dealing with hazardous upgrades in the corporate world, trust me. Upgrade only if you want pain possibly. Most upgrades go well, but some are just painful.

Schotty's right...if you don't have to upgrade, don't upgrade. I'll be upgrading to 2.6 when it's out, but 'till then I'm quite happy with 2.4.18.

I get the impression that you're still a little green to kernel recompiling. A word of encouragement: it becomes second nature eventually. Reconfiguring a working system from scratch takes me about 5 minutes (10 if I'm REALLY careful). My first time ever it took me well over an hour, what with reading all the documentation and determining what I need and whatnot. You'll get a feel for how to do it after a while. Just read the help files while you're configuring and you'll be good to go.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=1;threadid=6445;start=0#60809 date=1046208852]I get the impression that you're still a little green to kernel recompiling.[/quote]

Too right...
    I should confess, I didn't install RH8 on this machine myself.
    After having installed:
    Win 3.1, O/S2 Warp, Win95, PeanutLinux(laptop), Debian (laptop) and so forth.
    I called Pogo Linux and bought an Athlon 2000 system with RH8 and W2K installed. Wow, no regrets! I was able to demo to my wife and daughters a Linux system ready, out of the box, to handle email, browsing, homework, checkbook and so forth.
    Therefore, I haven't compiled _any_ kernels yet. Ironically, the only software update that has caused me _any_ trouble was the kernel update that RedHat up2date had been bugging me about. In fairness, I don't think there is any way that up2date can know that my Pogo Linux box has an Nvidia card.
    I mainly use Synaptic for updates and install. When I was playing with Debian, I knew apt-get was a cool tool, I just couldn't figure it out. SynAPTic is totally slick. I may not be in the channel for the latest and greatest, but my users demand stability. And since one of those users is my wife...