Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifey likey Linux!

Re:Wifey likey Linux!

Crossover plugin and xpde as the DE maybe?

i dunno, my wifey switched over to linux a good 6 months ago and has not missed MS crap at all. i did not nag her at all (well except for evil cackling when she blue screened.) most of here stuff is for games and some school work.

I'm afraid I'm sort of to blame for my girlfriend staying exactly where she is. I'm constantly switching distros and my system is rarely in a stable state.

"Can you look up the address of that place we're going to?"
    "Uhhhh....nope."
    "Why not?"
    "X is still compiling and I don't have networking up yet."
    "What the hell does that mean?"
    "Computer's not working."
    "Again? MINE's working fine."

Although she's now stopped blaming linux and has sort of acknowledged that it's all me. When it is stable she can definitely use it. She's clicked around before and found her way to music, browser, and office. Doesn't really make much difference to her. But still it breaks my heart to every now and then tell her that "Linux can't do that."

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60790 date=1046189335]
    (well except for evil cackling when she blue screened.)
    [/quote]

Hehe, I am glad I aint the only one. I laugh like the mad scientists when I catch it.

Good Guru

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60792 date=1046193754]
    But still it breaks my heart to every now and then tell her that "Linux can't do that."
    [/quote]

Get her ass off of proprietary standards then. Fuck, I have been toying with OO.org a bit more lately and HOLY SHIT!! The stuff I can do with this thing! Take this one for example -- I accidentally created a slideshow in html. I was trying to create something else and somehow thru my somewhat sober clicking, I got a truly cross platform presentation of a few slides. I thought that was cool.

Oh she's not on proprietary standards...but the rest of the world is unfortunately. And no matter how I wish it weren't the case, OOo still doesn't do .doc formats very well, I've yet to find a decent player for .wmv and .mov files, and the linux implementation of java just isn't up to speed with the win32 implementation as far as resource and speed issues go (we do some heavy java programming for class, and when I do it on linux it can be really frustrating). Like it or not, these are the standards as of now, and there are some things that linux just won't do as well (yet).

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60802 date=1046199238]
    I accidentally created a slideshow in html. I was trying to create something else and somehow thru my somewhat sober clicking, I got a truly cross platform presentation of a few slides.[/quote]

That paints a funny picture

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60689 date=1046070546]
    I gotta get my gf to like linux. :P
    [/quote]

yea, my gf ditched Windows 95 to run Slackware in CLI on her 486 (how cool is THAT?)

[quote author=C++freak link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60812 date=1046212277]
    [quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60689 date=1046070546]
    [/quote]

yea, my gf ditched Windows 95 to run Slackware in CLI on her 486 (how cool is THAT?)
    [/quote]
    very cool C++freak, very cool.

[quote author=C++freak link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60812 date=1046212277]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Wow...I wish mine were that geeky...as strange as that sounds. At least mine loves hardware.