Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifey likey Linux!

Mentor

Wifey likey Linux!

This was my first attempt to move my wife from W2K to Linux. First, I just installed Mozilla on her W2K and set her up with Mozill mail. Then it was rather easy to show her how to do the same thing in Linux. Moving her from M$ Office 2000 to OpenOffice was also simple.

Now if I can set her up with Quasar instead of Quickbooks, she won't ever have to boot into W2K. Linux is already the default OS in the bootloader. She loves the multiple desktops!

I'm really happy!

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Re:Wifey likey Linux!

Super! Linux needs more women users and there you are - her very own personal sysadmin! Perfect!!

Tell me more about Quasar. I had asked you a long time ago about CBB but you said the reports were not adequate for your business. That's too true. I'm using an old version for my home accounting so it's tolerable. But, if there is a better Linux solution, I'd like to try it.

TIA

I agree, we need more women for me to hit on...

I gotta get my gf to like linux. :P

Mentor

[quote author=cybergal link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=#60679 date=1046061632]
    Super! Linux needs more women users and there you are - her very own personal sysadmin! Perfect!!

Tell me more about Quasar. I had asked you a long time ago about CBB but you said the reports were not adequate for your business. That's too true. I'm using an old version for my home accounting so it's tolerable. But, if there is a better Linux solution, I'd like to try it.

TIA
    [/quote]

Here's the link to Quasar:
    http://www.linuxcanada.com

It is not as sophisticated (yet) as Quickbooks, but should be enough for what she's doing. I'm also considering switching over shortly.

Mentor

Ah, crap ...

She needs to download some documents for her school in ppt (M$ PowerPoint) format. No problem, OpenOffice can open it, right? WRONG! They just happened to be in Powerpoint '95 format that no Linux software understands.

Now she has to reboot and go back to Windows. She's not liking Linux that much any more. I'm trying to explain her that it's not Linux's fault, but she just wants to get her schoolwork done. Is there really a way to get out of the grip of M$? :'(

[quote author=cloverm link=board=13;threadid=6438;start=0#60764 date=1046145607]
    Now she has to reboot and go back to Windows. She's not liking Linux that much any more. I'm trying to explain her that it's not Linux's fault, but she just wants to get her schoolwork done. Is there really a way to get out of the grip of M$? :'(
    [/quote]

Trying to force ppl onto Linux is a really bad idea, which I had to learn the hard way (3AM calls, whinning, expecting miracles, etc.) If she can't find any reason to like windows over linux, I doubt she'll change. As for ppt, bring it up with the school. ;D

On a happy side note, a 10-yr old in my family happily uses Debian.
    ; )

You know just once I'd like to see a school give out documents in OOo Writer format or Impress or another OOo-only format. There's no way in hell that Office XP could handle it...suddenly people wouldn't be liking Windows so much. Oh how the tables would turn.

Advisor

good point Tyr_7BE, give it time, eventually i'm sure M$ will see the need to support linux stuff, because they will be crushed like little juicy bugs by the foot of the penguin!!! mwahahahahahaha

Sure it won't happen any time soon, but I think it will eventually, peopel will have to figure out that free is better.

I tried to get my wife to try Linux and her response was simply "I don't Like it" she said she liked windows and had no desire to change. I don't think she gave it a fair chance but she doesn't want to spend the time relearning new software so I dropped the issue and am taking a more suttle approach by making my desktop look really neat and then showing her, so far it is slowly working she askes how come I get all these cool looking desktops while she can't (small lie there) so maybe she will give it another try just to make her desktops look neat. ???