Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New Distro to try
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Distro to try

Good Guru

New Distro to try

Well, I got a friend hooked on RedHat 8 (smu) and he was wondering what the hell to try out. I said I have been contemplating expanding my horizons of laziness (LindowsOS) or just saying "Aww hell with it" and diving full bore into FreeBSD. After talking afor a bit, FreeBSD is looking very likely, but I have agreed to do a "Buddy Install" of whatever we do come up with. I need ideas.

Try not to say use this because its better. Tell me why I should waste all of the time converting over (Fuck dual booting, thats for girly geeks) all of my shit. Money is of no concern. I feel like buying whatever the hell I go with anyhow. Even if I end up sitcking with RedHat 8.1. Gotta contribute to the greater cause. OSS.

You know my vote

SUSE!!!
    I emailed SUSE support and asked about the latest and greatest in SUSE land, Suse 8.2 will be out in a couple of months.

Im thinking about installing Redhat on a spare 900mhz box I have and installing VMWARE on it if I can get it to run. We shall see.

Re:New Distro to try

If not Gentoo then Mandrake..

I would have to say Slackware 9, whenever it decides to come out. However, I've also been thinking about RH8.1, because it will be the first to come with preinstalled support for Exchange email connections. (At least that is what I read.)

FreeBSD 5
    And download it using the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies. I don't think FreeBSD is better than anything else, but you can learn a lot. Like how to get the XFree86 part to even download. I can tell that you are a manly man much like myself. I have enjoyed learning how to use Lynx. No sissy GUI for people like us. E-mail? Not needed when you can't see the keyboard or monitor for the tears. I think that you will find the ports collection of installing packages to be about as good as it gets. Plus, you will be able to answer some of my questions.

I'd definitely give Gentoo a shot. If you can get it working, it's a real treat. If not, well it's an experience. Portage is a thing of beauty (except the latest versions have been buggy as hell for me).

It's been a few years, but as of 2000 or so I'd also recommend Debian. Does anyone know if this recommendation still holds water?

Good Guru

[quote author=dowmun link=board=7;threadid=6416;start=0#60485 date=1045775350]
    FreeBSD 5
    And download it using the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp floppies. I don't think FreeBSD is better than anything else, but you can learn a lot. Like how to get the XFree86 part to even download. I can tell that you are a manly man much like myself. I have enjoyed learning how to use Lynx. No sissy GUI for people like us. E-mail? Not needed when you can't see the keyboard or monitor for the tears. I think that you will find the ports collection of installing packages to be about as good as it gets. Plus, you will be able to answer some of my questions.
    [/quote]

Yeah, am really leaning this way. One thing I havent noticed -- how rough is it to make a package from source? In RedHat, any tarball that has a ./configure script, will generate a spec file, so making an RPM is a breeze. I have used OpenBSD for some time now, but it doesnt do 3d or much multimedia, so .... I am looking at possibly replacing my RedHat systems with Free 5 (or whatever I end up using).

Directed to the others :

The only gripes I have with RedHat, SuSE, and Mandrake are they are just slow. I do mean slow. Slackware is a serious consideration too, that always behaved well. Just took more time to do stuff at first. Gentoo and LFS are the only two I refuse to go with. I have given up on the eternal waste of time waiting for applications to compile. If I cant have a system setup within 5 hours (most applications I mean, and minus d/l time) I will not bother. I have never tried debian, or a debian based system. That has been a serious consderation as well.

Thanks for the imput all!

Re:You know my vote

[quote author=coltrane link=board=7;threadid=6416;start=0#60473 date=1045757934]
    SUSE!!!
    I emailed SUSE support and asked about the latest and greatest in SUSE land, Suse 8.2 will be out in a couple of months.

Im thinking about installing Redhat on a spare 900mhz box I have and installing VMWARE on it if I can get it to run. We shall see.
    [/quote]

Yes! SuSE is the best OS I have ever used. It is powerful, stable, professional and yet quite easy to install and admin. I have no interest in trying out anything else these days.

Good Guru

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=6416;start=0#60477 date=1045761413]
    I would have to say Slackware 9, whenever it decides to come out. However, I've also been thinking about RH8.1, because it will be the first to come with preinstalled support for Exchange email connections. (At least that is what I read.)
    [/quote]

Hmm not sure. That would mean that RedHat would be either duplicating or including the Ximian Plugin eh?

Good Guru

Re:You know my vote

[quote author=cga link=board=7;threadid=6416;start=0#60501 date=1045788501]
    I have no interest in trying out anything else these days.
    [/quote]

Well, I havent tried everything yet ;D