Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Mail Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Problems

Mail Problems

I use RH 8.0. I want to be able to send mail through the command line interface. Right now I send and receive through Gnome's Evolution. I also retreive mail on the CLI with fetchmail. I want to send mail to other email addresses with the "mail" command. However, emails are not reaching their destination because I need to configure sendmail a little. I know nothing about sendmail but I did a little research and did the following:

In /etc/mail/sendmail.mc I changed
    Code:
    dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.abs.adelphia.net')
    to my SMTP server. That tells sendmail to relay all non-local mail messages to the server mail.abs.adelphia.net (my SMTP server). I then ran
    Code:
     m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
    and restarted sendmail. But it didn't work. What do I have to do to get it to work? I could be wrong, but from what I recall the last time I installed RedHat I could send mail from the command line without any configuration. Now it never reaches its destination (this is the 'mail' command, not pine or mutt).

Re:Mail Problems

hello,
    yes, up until redhat 8.0 i was able to send mail w/o any extra configuration too.

anywho, i have been looking through the docs and did exacltly what you did, i also made it such that it looked at something besides loaclhost

i am currently getting the mail bounced back with this error:

Reporting-MTA: dns; bugs.harris.org
    Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost.localdomain
    Arrival-Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:32:29 -0600

Final-Recipient: RFC822; pbharris@covad.net
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 552 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)
    Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:32:29 -0600

Glad I am not the only one. Is this some bug in RedHat 8.0 and/or sendmail you think?

i am thinking this is a security thing - as much as i hate to say i have spent the past 2 hours trying figure this out....

you did delte the dnl in front of the define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.youhost.net') - right? are you getting any bounce back mails?

right now i am reading this:
    It's not enough to set the From: and Reply-To: addresses in a piece of email client software because, much like a regular letter, all this does is tell the person who receives the message who it's from (maybe). The newer versions of sendmail (particularly since the release of 8.9.1) and other modern MTAs are more concerned with which mail server or MTA it was sent from than they are with which user sent the message so they read the message envelope. They're not looking for the person that sent it by checking the sender's From: or Reply-To: email address, they're checking to see if the post office, or MTA, the message came from is a valid host and that the domain is also valid. This is equivalent to checking the zip code of origin on a letter. Once this information is excerpted from the message it's verified via reverse DNS to see if the sending post office and the “From: domain exists (in other words, would the sending MTA would receive a bounce if the intended recipient didn't exist) and if that post office (the sending MTA) or the domain does not exist, then the receiving MTA will reject the message. We fix this by configuring our MTA to masquerade the envelope and then we relay our messages through our ISP's mail host which gives our mail the final stamp of legitimacy it needs.

So when using sendmail the primary keys to getting this right are using the correct values for MASQUERADE_AS, define(`SMART_HOST', xxx.xxx.xxx), and then we have to make sure we add: FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl and FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl to our configuration.
    the 552 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist may be an issue for me because i am not using a 'proper' domain name... while this did not used to be an issue it looks like it amy be one now.

oh yea - here is the link i am reading now
    https://www.redhat.com/support/resou...39.html#AEN245

hummss... i added the line

FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

and the mail has not bounced back - but i have not gotten it in my mail box yet either...

Yeah I removed the "dnl". It doesn't bounce back to me. It just doesn't reach its destination. This is a pain in the ass. I hope 8.1 is different.

[quote author=RedHat link=board=1;threadid=6409;start=0#60454 date=1045719438]
    Yeah I removed the "dnl". It doesn't bounce back to me. It just doesn't reach its destination. This is a pain in the ass. I hope 8.1 is different.
    [/quote]

same here. it seems to go off ito the email ether. grrr

I know I'm not helping you guys (and that's not because I don't want to but because I never used sendmail) but if you are willing to switch to exim I'll walk you through....

hey thanks demian,
    it turns out one of my messages sent by comand line came though - a day and a half later... so it worked, but quite marginally.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=6409;start=0#60579 date=1045891357]
    hey thanks demian,
    it turns out one of my messages sent by comand line came though - a day and a half later... so it worked, but quite marginally.
    [/quote]
    Uhh. Can you find out where it got stuck? A properly configured mailserver should send out a warning if a message remains on the queue for more than a few hours.