Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWILL KK400 and what DDR?

IWILL KK400 and what DDR?

Okay lets just start this out by saying I don't really do much with my Linux box. Host my webpage, a few Multi-User Dungeon Text based games and play the built in games in RH8.0.

I am looking at upgrading the Moboard (Travelling for the Government saving some food $$'s).

I think since I run an athalon 1.0gig chip that I can still use that board. The problem is that it currently supports
    DDR400/333/266/200 ram. Since I am a DIMM/SIMM kinda guy I am clueless as to the better I am assuming 400 is because of transfer speed. (Mind you my HDD is still 5400rpm).

So in the spirit of saving a few $$'s what DDR would I best go with assuming 512megs while not really hurting performance.

Thanks
    Ras

Oh BTW anyone want anything from Korea? I am going for 2 weeks and they have a great electronics market there.

Kind Mastermind

Re:IWILL KK400 and what DDR?

Keep me posted on where the best places to shop are. I'll be in southern S. Korea for a year and would love to be able to buy some goodies while I'm there. Also, if you don't mind, could you give us some sort of idea of the price difference between US prices and the prices in the Korean markets? Thanks

Cheers

The KK400 is a great board, but the KK400-RS is even better. ;D

As for the DDR 3200, a lot of people have been having trouble with it on all motherbaords. I would say your best bet is to go with PC2700 (333MHz), which isn't much slower really. The drop in MHz looks big, but in benchmarks, it's really not much.

This is where I got mine. The KK400 is around $95USD, and the KK400-RS is around $107USD. Very stable boards IMO. Seems that Iwill got a bad rep because of their KA266, and KK266 series board. Go thing the problems they had then (2 1/2 years ago) are long gone.

Good Guru

By the way, has anyone had luck with the newer boards and the cmedia audio chips? I got a guy that is curious about them, and I have zero input. I know that a SB PCI Live would be better, but for the cost of ... $10, form going to a non-integrated sound card mobo up to USB2, Firewire, and integrated sound, I am more apt to say try it, and if it sucks buy a real SB. Any ideas? Its mp3's and maybe a dvd here and there for the dude.

bah!! on board sound typically has no or an ineffective DSP. i want my sound done by a real DSP. odds are when i am doing something sound intensive i am also doing something CPU intensive (read playing games). i don't like handing off 24 bit multiplication opps to a CPU.

Good Guru

okay, good point. I always went with my SB cards, they were usually way better than what was in there. Plus linux would deal with it better. My friend aint going to be using linux, Win2K rather. But either way, a shit chipset is a shit chipset.

That's wierd. Sounds like 24-bit over here. ;D

Of course the KK400 (one of the most recent Socket A's) has VIA chipset audio. The XP333-R board I have in the FreeBSD box that use to be in the Linux box was flawless (C-Media). Really good sound, and 6.1 surround. The VIA unfortunatly, is only 5.1. :P

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=6394;start=0#60336 date=1045589833]
    By the way, has anyone had luck with the newer boards and the cmedia audio chips?
    [/quote]

my old mobo had a cmedia. even the modem works. both sound and modem are in the kernel config.

I'd say go with PC333 RAM. The Specs for PC400 aren't yet finalized and there seem to be compatibility issues.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=6394;start=0#60336 date=1045589833]
    By the way, has anyone had luck with the newer boards and the cmedia audio chips?[/quote]

I've got an ASUS A7V333 mobo that has a Cmedia 8738 chip. It works without problems but sounds like shit. And this is not because of a bad driver. The chip just sucks. So I put in an old Soundblaster PCI128 card.

I have an Asus A7V266-E with onboard CMedia. There are modules in the stock kernel that support it. I just compile the kernel with all that stuff built in and it works fine. It sounds ok, but I can't get my microphone to work. And the system information applet in KDE shows "no info available" for the sound chipset.