Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i upgrade iptables?

how do i upgrade iptables?

I tried to get the home network masquerade thing going and everything was going flawless (should have tipped me off) until i tried to execute the iptables script. This is the results
    [root@localhost matt]# ./firewall
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module: Device
    or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva
    lid IO or IRQ parameters
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules
    /2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod iptable_nat
    failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: init_module: Dev
    ice or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva
    lid IO or IRQ parameters
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: insmod /lib/modu les/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: insmod ip_conntr ack_ftp failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: init_module: Dev ice or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva lid IO or IRQ parameters
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: insmod /lib/modu les/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack.o: insmod ip_nat_ft p failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva lid IO or IRQ parameters
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod /lib/modules /2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables fa iled
    iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `nat': iptables who? (do you ne ed to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I am using the pet from here to run off of. If Needed I can post the script that i got from there.

10Ded

Good Guru

Re:how do i upgrade iptables?

May be your IPTables is not running. What's your distro? Try starting iptables before running scripts first.

You said over the weekend that you also did a default firewall install when you installed redhat. More than likely its executing that script. When you try to execute your script, its allready done the first one so it says piss off. I would try to find the default one it installed and copy yours to it.

If you have the default firewall running, it might be an ipchains firewall. You can't have both ipchains and iptables running at the same time, which might explain the error.
    What do you get when you do a lsmod?

I cant do an lsmod. It keeps replying with comand not found. Im using rh7.3 by the way. I dont want to wipe and start over if at all possible. Is there a specific dir that I need to be in to execute? Ive already tried loggin in as root and executing from there. I sort of had this problem b4 when I tried to run MonMotha firewall. IPtables kept giving me shit even though I had killed ipchains and rm'd it.
    10Ded

Man u just keep getting hosed with this thing dont ya. The lsmod thing is just odd. Ive never heard of that problem. As root, you should have no problem executing that from anywhere in the directory tree. Do rpm -q ipchains and see if it gives you any info back on whether or not ipchains is installed.

ok, this is what i did.
    I edit the systemconfig so that ipchains is NOT started at bootup. I did the same for ip6tables. I stopped iptables in all runlevels and tried to execute it again. I got the same thing. This thing is really starting to piss me off now. Im pretty much open to suggestions at this point.

Now just to be sure, is it Lsmod or Ismod? I know that they shouldnt be capitalized but this is the only way to get the command right.

10Ded

[quote author=10Dedfish link=board=4;threadid=6380;start=0#60243 date=1045498794]
    ok, this is what i did.
    I edit the systemconfig so that ipchains is NOT started at bootup. I did the same for ip6tables. I stopped iptables in all runlevels and tried to execute it again. I got the same thing. This thing is really starting to piss me off now. Im pretty much open to suggestions at this point.

Now just to be sure, is it Lsmod or Ismod? I know that they shouldnt be capitalized but this is the only way to get the command right.

10Ded
    [/quote]
    ok, there are 2 versions of iptables if I remember right, one is for version4, the other is for version6. Not sure if the two are compatible (they should be, but you never know). The command is Lsmod but with a lowercase L. Look at it in this light, you want to list (ls) the modules(mod) running so, lsmod. If you have ipchains stopped in all levels, enable tables in levels 3 and 5 and reboot to see if it works.

It's--> lsmod. If this is redhat it's usually in /sbin. Maybe by some very strange coincidence ??? /sbin is not in your path. Try running--> /sbin/lsmod. If that doesn't work try
    Code:
    find / -iname lsmod -print

Good Guru

[quote author=Stix link=board=4;threadid=6380;start=0#60245 date=1045499779]
    It's--> lsmod. If this is redhat it's usually in /sbin. Maybe by some very strange coincidence ??? /sbin is not in your path. Try running--> /sbin/lsmod. If that doesn't work try
    Code:
    find / -iname lsmod -print
    [/quote]

/sbin isnt normally in anyones' but root's path. Its one of the things I fix when I install.