Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am one step closer to having seen it all!

Re:I am one step closer to having seen it all!

[quote author=socomm link=board=14;threadid=6366;start=0#60064 date=1045237030]
    Have you considered making your own? If I remember correctly back when I was a younger pup, I saw this great film ( The Matrix ) in which the main character had a keyboard that light up everytime he would press any of the keys. I do not believe it is as hard as it seems at first, this can be achieved by placing leds or some sort of light emiting bulb under( or around ) each key, and then have it toggle on and off everytime you activate a key stroke( ie: press KEY_a toggle on, unpress KEY_a toggle off ). Just a thought, but if you are lazy might as well just plunk the money .
    [/quote]

thats easy enough to do, getting it to work that is, but which lights to use I am stuck. I'm thinking about very small ones that light up the letter thats on the key (cut the shape of the letter out, put the LED in the key) but that may be hard for me to do with my shaky hands.. I used to have a keyboard that instead of having the LEDs on the keyboard itself, I had them mounted on my box, so that they lit it up(different colors) and I had this little parabola covered with reflective tape, it looked cool when I pressed caps (orange LED) and scroll lock(red LED)...Thats besides the point.. Is there enough room in a key for a small LED?

Good Guru

[quote author=C++PHREAK link=board=14;threadid=6366;start=0#60206 date=1045447114]
    [quote author=socomm link=board=14;threadid=6366;start=0#60064 date=1045237030]
    Have you considered making your own? If I remember correctly back when I was a younger pup, I saw this great film ( The Matrix ) in which the main character had a keyboard that light up everytime he would press any of the keys. I do not believe it is as hard as it seems at first, this can be achieved by placing leds or some sort of light emiting bulb under( or around ) each key, and then have it toggle on and off everytime you activate a key stroke( ie: press KEY_a toggle on, unpress KEY_a toggle off ). Just a thought, but if you are lazy might as well just plunk the money .
    [/quote]

Is there enough room in a key for a small LED?
    [/quote]

Well the problem is the fact that the wiring becomes an issue. A few guys at college tryed this for a class project (well, actually it was a bit more, toch sensitive and motion sensitive to illuminate, fade when not used -- kinda like cell phone backlighting) and it was a near failure. If it wasnt for someone rebuilding it the night before, it would not have survived the instructors' stress test. The thing lasts about a week or so merely.

The problem was consistent wire and LED lead breakage. Wires would either break off (just after the solder joint) or the lead to the LED would eventually break from stress (constant bending). The admitted design chage that would have been ideal is something where the LED doesnt move, like the old fashioned buttons from the 1960's. The lamp was hard mounted to the buttons' base and the only moving objects were the top plastic part and the actual switch's throw itself.

Search slashdot's archive. There was an article about a year or so ago regarding this same topic, and although most people were talking out of their ass and not from experience, there were a few that obviously had their shit together. And most of them gave really good hardware and demo links. One dood had a really nice keyboard, but it was VERY expensive (nearing 200 bucks because of the swiches alone) and was very heavy and large, but it was admittedly a VERY good stating point for him. Check it out, otherwise you wont have half the insight that you would really need.

A real geek doesn't need to look at the keyboard... :P

Good Guru

[quote author=Artimus link=board=14;threadid=6366;start=0#61722 date=1047342008]
    A real geek doesn't need to look at the keyboard... :P
    [/quote]
    Agreed