Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

very basic fsck question

Thread: very basic fsck question

very basic fsck question

Hi All,

I feel pretty stupid asking this question since I've been using Linux for a couple of months now... but here goes.

I want to run "fsck" on my hard drives. I have 2 Linux boxes, one with RH 6.2 and one with RH 8.0. I know that fsck can only be run on unmounted drives, but if the command is on the drive I want to check, how do I go about it.

For example if I want to check the entire hda, what would the command be, and how would I bring the computer up to allow it to run the command? Also, would each partition have to be checked separately (hda1, hda2, etc.)?

I have looked at the man pages, did find the -A option for checking all file systems, but obviously, at least one file system must be mounted or the computer wouldn't be running. Then there's the -a option to automatically repair problems. If that's not used, is the user prompted to make repairs?

I really need a plain English (non-geekspeak) walk-through on how to run fsck on a hard drive. I would "play" with the command, but am worried about creating problems since both computers are running well at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Re:very basic fsck question

You need to mount the drives as read-only before you can fsck them. One "easy" way would be to just hit the reset button - then when you reboot, the system will complain that the file system wasn't unmounted cleanly and force a check.

A better way would be to boot to single user mode and then run fsck. And yes, you need to do each partition on its own.

Thanks!

Just so I understand then...

Reboot and at the lilo prompt type "linux single"

Then when it boots type "fsck -Aa hda1"

When that finishes, "fsck -Aa hda2"

And etc. until finished?

My next question is, on my RH 8 box which uses grub for a bootloader, how do I access single mode? Would I have to edit my /etc/inittab file to runlevel 1?

I don't see any propmt with grub that would let me boot to single user mode.

I know that these are really basic questions, but I've never seen any "plain English" explanations of how to do these things.

Thanks for your patience,

Jim

Good Guru

[quote author=RedHatNewbie link=board=1;threadid=6361;start=0#60000 date=1045163680]
    My next question is, on my RH 8 box which uses grub for a bootloader, how do I access single mode? Would I have to edit my /etc/inittab file to runlevel 1?
    [/quote]

I boot up and login, and type sudo init 1 at the prompt

I boot up and login, and type sudo init 1 at the prompt

Thanks!

That sounds simple enough... even for me!

Jim

to have grub boot into single mode you could also go to the image you wish to boot (i.e. make your selection) and then hit e

go to the very end of the line of the image you selected and add either 1 or single. Then hit b to boot it.

hth.

Good Guru

Thanks Paul :: I am still a moron with grub, so I use the skills I have to get around it If I can boot, I can fix it ;D

i think they both get the job done

Good Guru

True, however your method is more graceful ;D