Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information systems Security Degree

Re:Information systems Security Degree

I myself have the A+ and Network+ certs. Linux+ will be next for me. A+ is not necessarily THAT easy. You will not pass it if you don't study. I actually thought the Net+ was the easiest, followed by the A+ software (covers dos, windows 9x and windows 2000), and the A+ hardware was a little tricky to me.

Good Guru

I suppose ones' background in computers makes a difference. I had learnt all of the stuff pretty much before doing the A+. Net+ was not the case.

Eh, I've seen comptia's guidelines or whatever they call em for the security+. My opinion remains the same. Entry level cert. Sure, the book you're using is probably fabulous. There are A+ certifications books that are fabulous as well. And while they may prepare you for the test, they prepare you for much more. That doesn't make the test worth more, just the book.

I've have little (like none) formal training on security. I haven't read any books on the topic either. Many howtos, man pages, articles, etc.. yet, nothing you mention sounds that far out -- which means I'm eithe a security guru without trying, or the test really isn't hardcore.

Perhaps if all a company wants is someone to reset passwords and update winboxen, it's fine. Hell, probably more than fine.

As far as network+ and a+, I found network+ easier than a+. The A+ software exam was far too MS centric in my opinion.. It was more -- where precisely is the config for this located, and less troubleshooting (which I would have liked more.) Of course, I passed.. which is all that counts, right? Got myself a high paying job with it too. Oh wait, I'm unemployeed. Well, .. it could happen!

I guess if you are very very familiar with Win2K Pro/Server/Advanced Server, Netware, Solaris, UNIX, Exchange 2000 Server, SMS 2.0, and how to administer domains, domain controllers, web servers, ftp servers, news group servers, IM servers, SMTP servers, then maybe the Security+ would be easy for ya. If not, then a bit of studying is involved.

I have to totally agree with tolstoy. You don't want to stick with a program. Go for the experience, and the outside expertiese.

Thanx for all of the input guys. Hopefully I will come to a decision soon. Just to see if this will help, let me fill in some of my background.
    As most know, Mountainman is my brother. He's the one who turned me on to this site and I have to say that Im quite happy here. We both grew up messing around with computers (C-64) and the like and I could write basic before i was in middle school. Ok, flash fwd a couple of years, its high school in west BFE West Virginia and the only computer class in the school has 8 ibm clones that arent worth a broke dick penny. Needless to say the class was easy. I joined the navy and went in about 2 weeks after my birthday (July 8) and spent most of my time wondering why I did something stupid like that. I lived Chicago, Connecticut, SC, Virginia, and now finally North Carolina. I did most of my time in submarines or working on them.
    Now, the last 2 years or so, I was the lead technician for a system that was at the time, vme based running hpux. So, i started picking up on that stuff and learning from the engineers when they came down. After I got out, I was picked up by Unidyne to work as a contractor doing the same thing i did before just making more money. Now the bad part is, I dont get to spend alot of my time reading or hacking away on either of my computers now. ( Not that i had that much time before)
    Im picking up more and more linux as I go along now that im running a workstation and it is helping me in my job.
    Maybe i should go for a business degree and once i make desk jockey i can really start working on the other (cis) degree. It is hard for me to take a dedicated college class, mainly because I spend so much of my time working (OT) or traveling.
    Or i could get up and drink another cup of coffee and just enjoy the weekend. who knows.
    Thanks for letting me vent.
    Cheers

Matt

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=14;threadid=6360;start=0#61036 date=1046480635]
    I guess if you are very very familiar with Win2K Pro/Server/Advanced Server, Netware, Solaris, UNIX, Exchange 2000 Server, SMS 2.0, and how to administer domains, domain controllers, web servers, ftp servers, news group servers, IM servers, SMTP servers, then maybe the Security+ would be easy for ya. If not, then a bit of studying is involved.

I have to totally agree with tolstoy. You don't want to stick with a program. Go for the experience, and the outside expertiese.
    [/quote]

I also invented the tcp/ip protocol.

Good Guru

[quote author=vvx link=board=14;threadid=6360;start=0#61027 date=1046471620]
    Oh wait, I'm unemployeed.
    [/quote]

Ahh, another unemployed bastard!

Welcome to the club.