Thread: Hopefully quick q on MySQL

Good Guru

Hopefully quick q on MySQL

Okay, I got some tables I am going to have accessible that I want to have multiple users have full access or just read access to. I have fallen into a portable hole. How do I create users and allow them to access the system?

Here, I have already done this command
    Code:
    [schotty@leinenkugel apt]$ mysql -u root -p
    Enter password: 
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 10 to server version: 3.23.54

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> grant all on * to schotty identified by 'password';
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> exit;
    Bye
    [schotty@leinenkugel apt]$ mysql -p
    Enter password: 
    ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'schotty@localhost' (Using password: YES)
    [schotty@leinenkugel apt]$
    But when I try to login you see what I get. Any ideas? I wanted to use MySQL GUI to start filling up some tables. MySQL GUI wont connect either. Even if I try to use login root. I figure maybe you guys have a clue as to where I am screwing up.

Thanks!

Good Guru

Re:Hopefully quick q on MySQL

Well I got it -- sorta.

I needed to have as my login to be authorized schotty@localhost and it works from the cli, but from mysql gui, it doesnt still .... arggghhh.

make sure that account can login from anywhere....schotty@%.

login as mysqladmin and do this...

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO schotty@"%"
    -> IDENTIFIED BY 'some_pass' WITH GRANT OPTION;

that should work

catch me on instant messenger if you need any more assistance.

1 more post until I reach 1000

Good Guru

thanks that did

BTW, do you know of (for any sql for that matter on linux) a good data entry tool for databases, or a way I can fill in my data in ... say a spreadsheet ... and import it to a MySQL database?

What my goals are is as follows ::

I would like to simplify the pen and paper and model BattleTech (tm) game into a Freeciv ish type game for linux. Now, after much dleiberation, I have decided that all of the weapon range/damages/weights and battle mech stats should be dumped into a few tables. And have a separate one for each players' arsenal. For starting out, I will need to enter in all of the mechs and weapon info from each technical readout book I own and the rules compedium.

Needless to say I will have for just each the battlemechs' around 50 entries (give or take). This is nto soemthing I feel liek manually entering on the cli ;D

Any ideas? I really hate to say it -- but using a few simple forms and MS Access is a really simpel way to enter it. But I hate the MDB viewer that is currently out (sucks is a gentle word) so transporting the data is not really an option there ... Dilemmas dilemmas ....

ok first you need to see if your version of mysql has loadlocal infile support. so create a .txt file and put some info in it with tab between each field. so for example if your table has three fields:

vim test.txt

test<tab>localinfile<tab>support

<esc>
    :wq

then open up mysql and the table you will be loading the file into. then issue the command:

mysql> LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE "test.txt" INTO TABLE <yourtablename>;

if you get no error then you are rocking to create your table buy working in a text editor to create each row of data.

for more info refer to this url. loading tables

Good Guru

Thanks Sarah, that does work. And thats what Ill do for entereing my data.

sarah, youre a beast

{thats a compliment by the way}

glad i could help. i found that out when i was looking at making a mysql4 package for the unofficial tree for Arch Linux. it is far more logical way to enter a large amount of data. kinda makes me wonder why they hide it so far into the documentation. for me it made my search for a frontend end because none of the frontend i looked at seemed to offer what load local infile does. mysql is easy to manage once your mass of data is entered.

Good Guru

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=2;threadid=6354;start=0#60553 date=1045852715]
    glad i could help. i found that out when i was looking at making a mysql4 package for the unofficial tree for Arch Linux. it is far more logical way to enter a large amount of data. kinda makes me wonder why they hide it so far into the documentation. for me it made my search for a frontend end because none of the frontend i looked at seemed to offer what load local infile does. mysql is easy to manage once your mass of data is entered.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I gotta agree, the frontends for the mostpart suck. I really wish some talented group would make a frontend to MySQL and PostgreSQL that imitates MS Access. Where Access fails, MySQL whips its ass. All our SQL dbs need are really useful frontends like that.

After learning Access, I found a whole shitload of things I could do that seemed way too difficult at first. Now I want to do similar things, but had/still-have a rough time. At least the load local inline is a breeze.

I live by this front end : http://www.webyog.com/

Granted you can never beat the CLI, which is why I'll never use a IDE for coding.....