Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lindows

Associate

Lindows

Does anyone have any experience with Lindows? I just came across a catalog selling a computer with a 1.3 GHZ AMD processor loaded with "Lindows" for only $290.00. For that price I am thinking about buying one just to play with. I would be grateful for any comments anyone has to offer about Lindows. klrmar

Good Guru

Re:Lindows

Stryder tryed it and liked it. It seems perfect for the less technically inclined folks. IF you wanna get a PC with those specs, and may end up getting RedHat or Slackware anyhow, get it and try it out.

Lindows used to charge ($99?) for the use of a package manager (basically, a front-end to apt-get). Do they still do that?

I'd say go get a real distro. ;D

[quote author=BigFatJoe link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59900 date=1045074447]
    Lindows used to charge ($99?) for the use of a package manager (basically, a front-end to apt-get). Do they still do that?

[/quote]

what's wrong with paying for quality software?

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59902 date=1045075379]
    [/quote]

nothing. I just don't consider a distro which makes you run as root user, makes you register to download free software (people who don't know better will most likely pay), as well as other annoyances as "quality software"

[quote author=BigFatJoe link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59912 date=1045077880]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59902 date=1045075379]
    [/quote]

nothing. I just don't consider a distro which makes you run as root user, makes you register to download free software (people who don't know better will most likely pay), as well as other annoyances as "quality software"
    [/quote]

99$ a year gives you unlimited access to quality software, it's always up to date, and it's easy - what more could mom and pa want?

Lindows is a great concept, but I agree, it's not a distro for the hardcore Linux user, but guess what, not everyone is a hardcore Linux user.

Associate

I am definately not a hardcore user. I just like the idea of using and learning about what is clearly a very interesting OS with lots and lots of potential.

Since I am not hardcore I often have to fall back on Windows because Linux, as interesting as it is, is still not ready for most basic computer who just want to do word processing, send emails and play games.

My interest in Lindows is really just to see how different is was. KLRMAR

Good Guru

[quote author=BigFatJoe link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59900 date=1045074447]

[/quote]

Nah its like half that now. Id have to check my emails to see if I still have it yet, but a few weeks ago I got from lindows.com (I subscribed to their announcements) that it was like 49.99 or 39.99 now to get lindows and a 1 year click-and-run membership.

Dont forget its essentially debian underneath too -- so you have apt-get to play with as well.

Good Guru

[quote author=klrmar link=board=7;threadid=6350;start=0#59923 date=1045080459]
    I am definately not a hardcore user. I just like the idea of using and learning about what is clearly a very interesting OS with lots and lots of potential.

Since I am not hardcore I often have to fall back on Windows because Linux, as interesting as it is, is still not ready for most basic computer who just want to do word processing, send emails and play games.

My interest in Lindows is really just to see how different is was. KLRMAR
    [/quote]

If you feel like spending the money go for it. It is cheaper now than when they first started out. I dunno. I am willing to try it soon. I just need a job before I start pissing money away

Associate

Lucky for me I am currently employed and I recently paid off most of my credit cards. I already have two computers (neither of which is top of the line but they are fun) and I am the mood to indulge myself with an impluse buy.

I have not really done anything with Linux beyond read the occasional article since last July and I figure it is time to take another whack at. I have tried Mandrake, Corel Linux, ASP, a very old version of Red Hat and something else I forgot. I think Linux is fun when you have the time and right now I think I have the time