Thread: most efficient wm on a low end system

most efficient wm on a low end system

not sure if this should be here, but whatever....anyways, I was runnin the Suse Live cd on a low end comp, and it was takin forever, but it evantually loaded, however, it didn't have icewm which i know is fast on low end systems, so I had a choice of kde, which i know is retardedly slow on that, window maker, mwm, and twm...of which i know nothing about. I tried one of the three and it just gave me a blank desktop and i had to right or left click to get a menu of somekind and i didn't really like that cuz most of my usual stuff wasn't listed and i couldnt find a menu item to logout or shutdown....so which of those three would probably be the fastest on a low end system?
    -CJ

Re:most efficient wm on a low end system

Why not down laod and install IceWM? Its a small dl even on dialup. twm and mwm are both very minimal and a pain to use. Windowmaker is a nice wm, but takes some getting use to and I always found it kind of awkward to use.

Good Guru

fluxbox or fvwm. fvwm is more advanced, but weaker on the eye candy, so its like a gnome without fancy shit. try it out on your main box and see how it goes. pbharris and demian are fvwm gurus, and can help with any odd questions.

yea... i must say i love fvwm. it occupied 2.2. MB of ram and icewm occupies 3.1 MB, both lightwieght. fvwm can take a bit of work to make it just like you want it, but defaults are not bad and themes can make it very pretty.

i dont know, can u install apps with the live cd? and i dont wanna have to go into a wm to download something, i just wanna pick from what's avialable.
    -CJ

well - out of those choices i would go with window maker, kinda lightwieght (heavier than mwm or twm though) but is easy. mwm can be pretty nice...

Waimea, enlightment or *box might be options.

well, I've used Fluxbox a little bit, and loved it, I plan to use it when I get my Slackware CD, but I've heard good things about all of the boxes (Blackbox, Openbox, Hackedbox, Bluebox) but if you don't like having to clikc to get a menu... and want a light WM, IceWM is about your only option that I know of.

-Luke

Blackbox on a P75 with 8mb ram works fine for me. All my menus point to shell scripts that ssh to a "real" box to run apps off of.