Thread: Quick questions

Quick questions

just to put an end to the rumors ive been hearing from my winxp whipped friends...

#1 was Longhorn cancelled, because from what I know its still planned?

#2 they are telling me that the next windows release will be unix based???

Re:Quick questions

Longhorn is still in the works and is supose to be the Windows ME/2k/XP killer (just like all the other ones). The current screenshots of Longhorn look like KDE mixed with E17 ... kinda odd. And a company who hates Unix will probably not want to trade DOS for Unix ... though it would be a very smart move.

the heck is longhorn? ???

windows--> unix? god that would be funny they can't even create a nice OS with what they got and you think they would with unix? :P

Not much as far as details go but here is a link I found searching www.google.com keyword microsoft longhorn.

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles...rticleID=27266

and another one.
    http://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com...1102afitrt.htm

Ras

i think i heard just the longhorn server being halted, at least thats i found on google, so they coould have mixed it up. heh ya i told them it was very unlikely windows would be unix based.

haha@sarah

does anyone know of a webbased player that could stream shoutcast, so i wouldnt have to install winamp on every computer im on.

Kind Mastermind

Let's see, M$ doing the *nix thing...not so far fetched. One of their first oses was a Unix. Plus, they have been putting bits and pieces of Unix in the NT kernel and associated programs for years. So, if they did base their next os entirely on Unix I'd be surprised. But not too surprised. Plus, with OS X, Solaris, Linux, *BSD's, etc being so popular and infringing on the M$ mind/pocketbook share, going over to the light side would not be a bad thing from their money grubbing point of view.

Cheers.

Longhorn isn't cancelled, the server part is...

It won't be featuring a real os (tm) but rather it will have a bashlike shell environment (they are hiring people with heavy shell programming experience right now... )

Rumours are bound that even more of the source will be "shared source" meaning you fix M$ bugs and they scrap the profit and the glory.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=6343;start=0#59862 date=1045003260]
    Let's see, M$ doing the *nix thing...not so far fetched. One of their first oses was a Unix.
    [/quote]

The funny thing about that is people didn't want to use their Unix variant because it was 'prone to crashing' and 'was not standards compliant'.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=6343;start=0#59907 date=1045077326]
    The funny thing about that is people didn't want to use their Unix variant because it was 'prone to crashing' and 'was not standards compliant'.
    [/quote]

Thats seems to be The Microsoft Way(tm)