Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird hard drive issues

weird hard drive issues

ok this is really weird

so get this, i'm playing with this new hd i got, trying to get linux on it so i could make a small little server, so now i'm up to making a boot floppy. now, the floppy making process seems to have frozen (btw, my case is almost always open), so i reach over to see if maybe some of the parts on the fdd have gotten stuck, since it's an older one and it's just sitting in the case. so i grab it and lift it up a little, and all of a sudden i see a few sparks jump from the fdd to my hd (my actual one not the spare. this one is 80G, the spare was 3G). comp instantly reboots as if i'd hit the reset button.

at this point i swear, and set the fdd back down. more sparks. comp halts as if i'd pulled the plug.

at this point i'm really worried.

i decide to see if any damage has been done, so i boot up my comp. XP loads just fine (hey, i'm a gamer, alright?), or so i'd thought....

after a while i look around and everything seems fine, then i try loading ut2003, it gets up, but when i try to load a map, WHAM! bsod (yes xp still has it you just rarely see it) and reboot as if i'd hit the power button. happened a few times on different maps.

then i notice something else, i'm seeing deep freeze like symptoms. things like my aim preferences aren't being saved, or mozilla prefs are always in the same spot, or logs from aim aren't getting updated. then i realized, everything i'm writing to the drive isn't being saved after a reboot.

so i go into linux and cfdisk, delete my ntfs partition, and create a fat32. reboot. partition still there, xp still boots. i do this a couple times. the xp installer even tries to format the partition. gets to 100% then whines that it couldn't.

so now i go to linux to try and start backing some stuff up to my 30G that i don't use much. so i make a few dirs for mount points, mount it, and start copying some stuff over. after a reboot, the mount points are gone, as well as an iso that i'd made of some stuff i was backing up.

i have no idea what might have caused this, but no matter how i do it, any changes i make to the drive aren't sticking. my plan is to backup and completely format. do you guys think this will even work?

any help is much appreciated. except from gorn. i don't like him, and he's already given his input anyways.

Re:weird hard drive issues

Perhaps you might try finding a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer, that would test the sectors. Or try doing a low-level format of the drive.

HTH

hello,
    if you haven't get some hard drive testing utility from the hard drive manufacture, do the diagnostics and see what they say. i personlly don't trust zapped anything.

You tried writing to two diferent drives? I'm thinking you partialy fried the IDE bus......You can read from them but they can't be written to......
    Are the drives on the same bus? ie. both on the primary bus as master and slave. Try moving them to the secondary bus and moving your CD-ROM(or whatever) to the primary bus.

You may have to fork over some $$$ to get a PCI IDE adaptor or, to be safer, another mainboard. Before spending some $$$, try your drives in another system.

BTW, sparks flying around in a computer is not good at all. I've never seen it, even running a system completely without a case. Check all your wiring and cables.

Mentor

I would suggest checking you PSU, and you power cabling. Sounds like its not grounding properly to me. Unplug the floppy drive altogether as that seems to be where the problems are coming from. And just go back to having your original HD in the PC.
    I've shorted out my PSU before and it does what you said, instantly reboots, but I've never shorted it to the HD, so hopefully you've just damaged the data, and not the actual HD.
    CP

[quote author=Whiz link=board=3;threadid=6341;start=0#59846 date=1044987171]
    You tried writing to two diferent drives? I'm thinking you partialy fried the IDE bus......You can read from them but they can't be written to......
    Are the drives on the same bus? ie. both on the primary bus as master and slave. Try moving them to the secondary bus and moving your CD-ROM(or whatever) to the primary bus.
    [/quote]
    hmm. 80G (trouble) is on the primary bus. my cdrw and the 30G are on the secondary. i can write to the 30. haven't tried moving it to the first, i'd always heard it was faster to copy large amounts between different buses as opposed to the same bus.

also, it's not like i cant write. i don't get an error when i try to write something, it's just gone next time i boot. maybe something to do with ram.....

bah not a cs major so i'm not sure.

[quote author=grimey link=board=3;threadid=6341;start=0#59886 date=1045025486]
    [quote author=Whiz link=board=3;threadid=6341;start=0#59846 date=1044987171]
    [/quote]
    hmm. 80G (trouble) is on the primary bus. my cdrw and the 30G are on the secondary. i can write to the 30. haven't tried moving it to the first, i'd always heard it was faster to copy large amounts between different buses as opposed to the same bus.

also, it's not like i cant write. i don't get an error when i try to write something, it's just gone next time i boot. maybe something to do with ram.....

bah not a cs major so i'm not sure.
    [/quote]
    All right. I got the impression you couldn't write to both drives and assumed both were on the same bus.

You are correct that it is faster to copy large amounts between different buses as opposed to the same bus. But right now we're not concerned with performance, we're concerned in finding out the problem.
    Please note that I'm not trying to sound like an a$$, I'm just trying to help troubleshoot your problem and get your system back up and running.

Hopefully the following thought can help you:

Since you could write to the 30GB drive and it is on the secondary bus, switch the CD-RW and the 80GB drive around. If you're now able to write to the 80GB drive, you know the primary bus is fried and not the drive. If this is the case, you probably won't be able to write to the CD-RW on the primary bus either, so you'll probably need a PCI IDE adaptor or switch motherboards. If none of the following helps then the controller on your 80GB drive is fried and you need another drive. Hopfully, with the warranty, you can send it to the manufacturer and get another.

i switched around the drives, and i still can't write to the 80G. i'm going to continue backing up everything i need on the *0G to the 30G and to cdr's. once i'm done i'm gonna try a complete reformat of the drive and see if that does anything. wipe it clean. who knows, it might do the trick.

on an only slightly related tangent, i'm surprised xp still booted after i switched the drives. last time i moved partitions around, 200 bithced and moaned about it. maybe they fixed this problem with xp. who knows. maybe it's just the fact that i only moved drives and not partitions (with 200 i did the opposite). meh

ok, so, even after a low-level format, i can still boot up with lilo and all.

wtf?

i guess i should go and check samsung's site for warranty info.

the only thing is, my drive didn't come with anything but the drive and a little instruction card. i hope i can get it replaced.

Mentor

I would guess that a low level format doesn't wipe the MBR, but that seems weird to me.