Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Local AIM Server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local AIM Server

Associate

Local AIM Server

Once upon a blue moon, when linux was still my main box's os (now its just my server/semiprimary OS), I would go to freshmeat everyday, and look at all the new stuff everyday. And one day, I saw an AOL Instant Messager. So fast forward to the present; I can't find it at the moment (after searching sourceforge, google, and freshmeat), and I'd really like to set it up on a friend of mine's shiny tibook. So if anyone knows of an aimserver that just supports basic stuff like person to person chat and chatrooms, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re:Local AIM Server

I've never seen a AIM server, but I have seen AOLServer which is a http server. You can, however, get Jabber Server (IM service with many transports to other services) or an ircD.

I second the motion for Jabber. There are tons of clients availible for it. Check it out here http://www.jabber.org

i suggested jabber as well.

his whole school has aim already installed and they want to use that.

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=6338;start=0#59957 date=1045104262]
    i suggested jabber as well.

his whole school has aim already installed and they want to use that.
    [/quote]

jabber has am AIM (and MSN, IQC, etc) gateway. I never set it up. But it allows jabber users to communicate with AIM users via the jabber server and jabber client. If he want's to use AIM because that's what's installed on everyone's desktop, then that's a different issue.

Has anyone implemented a jabber server and Windows clients?

I want to make a proposal at work to implement corporate instant messaging, but I think I have to go with a free software if I want to have any chance of my proposal to be accepted.

I checked some sites, but everything seems to indicate that Jabber server in windows is unstable. Could I make a linux Jabber server, and have the users use Windows clients? Would I need a commercial database (Oracle, Postgre SQl, etc.) to make this work?

I'd appreciate any comments on this.

http://www.jabber.org/admin/adminguide.html#install

there is no mention of SQL so maybe it does it's database differently. and it probably supports MySQL if it need an sql backend.

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to use windows clients with a linux server.

good luck

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Good Guru

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=4;threadid=6338;start=0#60053 date=1045222424]
    jabber has am AIM (and MSN, IQC, etc) gateway. I never set it up. But it allows jabber users to communicate with AIM users via the jabber server and jabber client.[/quote]
    Sorry for being irrogant here but ....

Is that mean if I have Jabber client installed on my Linux/Windows client box and have Jabber server that I connected to, I will be able to talk to someone using ICQ client on their Linux/Windows client box using ICQ server?

:-\

you need an icq account too. it's much like how you can sign on to aim and yahoo with gaim or everybuddy, except it's done on the server rather than on the client.