Thread: Standard C

Standard C

What is the standard C compiler+libs? I was reading an article that clamied that MS cl is the standard but couldn't find anything else to credit or discredit that!

Re:Standard C

As far as i was aware the standard for C was ANSI atleast thats what I figure most compilers shoot for.

"Standard C compiler and libs" is kind of vague. It's platform dependant. Plus there's no compiler for Windows that really has a large enough market advantage to be considered a standard. The standard C compiler in Linux, however, is gcc.

[quote author=Almighty Snailgod Kenshi link=board=9;threadid=6320;start=0#60017 date=1045171394]
    "Standard C compiler and libs" is kind of vague. It's platform dependant. Plus there's no compiler for Windows that really has a large enough market advantage to be considered a standard. The standard C compiler in Linux, however, is gcc.
    [/quote]

Thats what I thought as well. I guess some people assume if MS makes something it's the standard. : Just wanted to make sure C wasn't horrible tainted ;D

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=9;threadid=6320;start=0#60019 date=1045171962]
    [quote author=Almighty Snailgod Kenshi link=board=9;threadid=6320;start=0#60017 date=1045171394]
    [/quote]

Thats what I thought as well. I guess some people assume if MS makes something it's the standard. : Just wanted to make sure C wasn't horrible tainted ;D
    [/quote]

M$ C toolkit is a ported `gcc`. Check their tool description.
    Shoot, they compile Winders on FreeBSD. Well, I guess once
    they start using C# on the core this might possibly change.

~Guitarlynn

C# on the core? What're you talking about? I must have misread, or missed what you meant, because I don't see how C# will have anything to do with C.... (Seeing how C# is a .net language and it doesn't have pointers etc)

[quote author=trieder link=board=9;threadid=6320;start=0#61918 date=1047629097]
    C# on the core? What're you talking about? I must have misread, or missed what you meant, because I don't see how C# will have anything to do with C.... (Seeing how C# is a .net language and it doesn't have pointers etc)
    [/quote]

It has pointers...you just have to look for them. C# can also import C code. .NET languages can be compiled into machine code just like C and C++...MS.NET's csc does this by default. Whether they can get optimizations to a point where it's acceptable for a core, however, is another issue.

Everything I have read is that there are no pointers... (at least in C#) so that people could cut down on errors in their programs. Also I believe this is Microsofts repeated attempt to attack Java for web services etc

C# is MS's attempt to out Java Java while out preforming it with it's compile once run where it is compilied ideals