Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

SU for WinXp?

Thread: SU for WinXp?

SU for WinXp?

I don't as a habit run XP as Root (only when gathering the fixes). I would like to know if there is a SU command for XP?

I would like to modify like Norton AV and allow any user to get the updates but I don't feel like logging in to roots account.

Thanks
    Ras

Re:SU for WinXp?

Any administrator account is basically a root accout. There should also be a default account called "administrator".

Good Guru

Windows has no SU command. You must log out and log in as Administrator to be able to update stuff.

If you right click on an executable you will see an option that says "run as", left click on this, it will give you the option to run the program as administrator. This only works for GUI stuff.

Side note you may want to PM spooky, I understand that he uses a bash shell for some of his win boxes

There is something similar to SU inW2K and XP. There is an executable called runas:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Trickster>runas
    RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/netonly] ]
    /user:<UserName> program

RUNAS [ [/noprofile | /profile] [/env] [/netonly] ]
    /smartcard [/user:<UserName>] program

/noprofile specifies that the user's profile should not be loaded.
    This causes the application to load more quickly, but
    can cause some applications to malfunction.
    /profile specifies that the user's profile should be loaded.
    This is the default.
    /env to use current environment instead of user's.
    /netonly use if the credentials specified are for remote
    access only.
    /savecred to use credentials previously saved by the user.
    This option is not available on Windows XP Home Edition
    and will be ignored.
    /smartcard use if the credentials are to be supplied from a
    smartcard.
    /user <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
    program command line for EXE. See below for examples

Examples:
    > runas /noprofile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
    > runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
    > runas /env /user:user@domain.microsoft.com "notepad \"my file.txt\""

NOTE: Enter user's password only when prompted.
    NOTE: USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.
    NOTE: /profile is not compatible with /netonly.

HTH

XP Pro has an option in the Start menu, you can switch to another user account while the current user is still logged in. Switching back & forth.

If you have XP Home edition, then I don't think it's available. Not for sure though.

[quote author=Rastar link=board=25;threadid=6318;start=0#59610 date=1044725739]
    I would like to modify like Norton AV and allow any user to get the updates but I don't feel like logging in to roots account.

Thanks
    Ras
    [/quote]

Can't you schedule NAV to update itself? Also, if you are on a network enviorment, I would strongly suggest Norton Corporate Edition, or if you don't have the $$, deploying updates via a logon script. You can probably rig something so you don't have physically sit down at a box or rely on the end users to run updates. Before I dropped Norton servers on my network, I used to roll out all my updates via batch scripts. The scripts were a bit cludgy, but they did the job and updated NAV without users even knowing. You could probably do something decent with vbscript. Just have the computers download and execute the pre-packaged updates from a network share at startup (a few years ago you used to be able to download the pre-packaged updates from Symantec. Perhaps you still can).

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=25;threadid=6318;start=0#60434 date=1045705282]
    XP Pro has an option in the Start menu, you can switch to another user account while the current user is still logged in. Switching back & forth.

If you have XP Home edition, then I don't think it's available. Not for sure though.

[/quote]

it's called Fast User Switching, and yes, it is in XP Home

-Felder32

just a note, to run a control panel as a different user (say your stagecrew got a windows xp box cause they wouldn't listen when you said "get a mac", and then you're projecting something and every 20 minutes the monitor goes to sleep, and you don't want to log out because the people that setup the webcast said it was too much trouble to setup again, and you can't fast user switch cause that's not availible in your install for some reason) then you can find the actual .cpl (i did a find *.cpl) and right click->run as. good stuff.

Thanks. Good to know.