Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

40 Gig HD and wanting to partition it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 Gig HD and wanting to partition it.

40 Gig HD and wanting to partition it.

Okay when IBM (now Hitachi) sends my replacement drive I would like to set it up in the following manner to get the full capacity.

I would like a primary partition for Linux and its needs. Yet leave it around 20 gigs. I would also like to have /home on a second partition of 20 gigs.

When I run the graphical install for RH8.0 it asks for which way to partion it.

Auto
    Disk Druid
    Fdisk

If I select Auto I often get a variety of results sometime I get all partitions on one /hda1 - /hda3
    Sometimes I get them all the way out to /hda8. Don't ask me why they are not the same. I have never manually set up a drive under linux so I am clueless as to how best to do this.

Since this is a new drive could I boot with a M$ XP disk and fdisk it and create two partitions? Then use the fdisk under linux to change the partition types to ext3 or what the heck do I need to do. (Sorry lost my train of thought).

Ras

Advisor

Re:40 Gig HD and wanting to partition it.

If you reall wanted, yes you could do it with fdisk in windows and then convert to ext3, although I believe that when installing RH if you choose Disk Druid it gives you a pretty nice GUI that is more than capable of this. (I haven't installed RH in a long time, but don't beleive this has changed) Or, another option is just do it all from linux fdisk (more difficult), or cfdisk is probably on the RH CD (not sure though) which is like a CLI GUI thinger that'll do the trick.

OK, off-topic.

Gods, man. 40 gig?!

I am still using my 1998 6 gig HD!

What do kids do with freaking 40 gig drives?

Advisor

[quote author=cga link=board=1;threadid=6307;start=0#59569 date=1044671126]
    OK, off-topic.

Gods, man. 40 gig?!

[/quote]

How do you live with only 6 gigs??? I have an 8.5 gig and a 1 gig in mine and have run out of room many times over already, although I am dual booting winblows aswell, but still!

OK, off-topic.

Gods, man. 40 gig?!

[/quote]

I have a file server with an 8gb hdd (only about 49% full), two desktops with 40gb hdd's and my new desktop with a 60gb hd. Also have a web server with a 1gb hdd. Dunno what I'm going to do with them but they are cheap

How do you live with only 6 gigs??? I have an 8.5 gig and a 1 gig in mine and have run out of room many times over already, although I am dual booting winblows aswell, but still!
    How do you get away with 6GB? ;D

I would like a primary partition for Linux and its needs. Yet leave it around 20 gigs. I would also like to have /home on a second partition of 20 gigs.
    Why so much for / ? Why not do two partitions. hda1 "/" 10GB, hda2 "/home" 29GB, hda3 "/swap" (However much, depending on RAM)? As long as you have a / and a /swap (set to their respective types of partition), RH should leave the part table alone.

2 x 40GB here - I want more space..

[quote author=PK link=board=1;threadid=6307;start=0#59596 date=1044696298]
    OK, off-topic.

Gods, man. 40 gig?!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I don't do any MP3s or movies or heavy graphics files. Almost everything I do, aside from surf the web, is working with text. Text files just don't eat up a whole lot of drive space.

Besides, I am cheap, and as long as the drive works, I see no reason to by a new one.

OK, off-topic.

Gods, man. 40 gig?!

[/quote]

Not sure what kids do since I am one month away from 40 but, I got a great deal on the HDD (under $80.00 USD) a year ago so : )

Thanks all Can someone please tell me what RH needs for partitions I believe I saw a / and a /home and a /usr and a /var and a /swap.

Thanks
    Ras

Good Guru

[schotty@leinenkugel schotty]$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda2 20G 16G 3.5G 81% /
    /dev/hda1 38M 14M 22M 39% /boot
    /dev/hda4 16G 13G 3.3G 79% /home
    none 251M 0 250M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/cdrom 274M 274M 0 100% /mnt/cdrom
    [schotty@leinenkugel schotty]$

MP3's, roms for various things and GAMES!!

The only major resource on my /home is my transgaming C drive. I have a lot of shit in there. My tarball repository and the aforementioned are all in the root partition right now (/usr/local/share).

So as you can see, the space gets eaten up rather quickly ;D