Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions for you people!

Hybrid View

questions for you people!

i am having a bit of an dilema... Intel or AMD

my mb and processor are now three years old and, like last year i am hoping to get a new MB and processor.

since i have owned computers i have always purchased AMD processors (well, i did buy an intel 486 way back...). and they have always been good - except for the crashes i had before the AMD cpu lockup fix was revealed, plus some NVidia/VIA issues.

which brings me to my delimia... while i wish to support AMD i can't say i care for any chipset manufactors out there. i have the following choices
    VIA - kt400/kt333 pretty good, but have had issues, i know they have
    SiS - have not used them, heard bad things and don't plan on using them.
    NVidia -nforce2 looks good but nvidia has closed source drivers for the chipset as well as their cards from what i can tell.

Intel makes great chipset and the pentium 4 is not bad, not quite as good as an athlon XP from what i see, but they do run cooler and i think playing with hyperthreading would be neat. intel also seems better at working with the linux crowd than all of the aforementioned groups. what are your thoughts? articles to read?

Re:questions for you people!

id say if your going over 2ghz, buy intel because its cheaper, faster, and easier to overclock

Well I'm building a new computer and I've gone with an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with a http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/7va.htm Gigabyte 7VA motherboard. Its a Via KT400 chipset motherboard. To use DMA on the motherboard, you'll need the latest kernel (2.4.20) afaik. Kerner_Killer has a KT400 board so he might have something to say about it.

AMD all the way! The KT400 chipset is working perfect over here with 2.4.18!

Yeah you could buy a 2GHz Intel for about the same price or a little more than a 2GHz AMD, but get about half the performance. Can't go wrong with a Socket A.

Here's the mobo I'm using. Segfault thinks it was named after me. :P

Now if I had the cash dual opterons when they drop, or Dual XEON SMT... yummy...

Definately a dual setup at least...

I was thinking about building a cheap VIA C3 box for myself if I can figure out weither or not I can make a 4 way C3 box... 4 way 933MHz C3 would be SWEET.

Seriously, AMD will get you the most bang for your buck, but don't rule out the outsiders - The VIA C3 Eden platform makes a sweet "wife box"/multimedia machine..... Even a great little server.. Eden rocks.

I wouldn't go with Intel right now as the only viable Intel CPU is the 3.06GHz SMT CPU which is just to damn expensive when one recalls that the mobo and the ram needs to be topnotch to get the most out of the system.

A dually system truely is sweet and if you have that extra cash to spend I promise you.... fast love (okay that was a bad joke).

This would be a whole lot easier if you would tell us how much dough you were willing to spend.

hey! thanks for the replies people!
    i am hoping to blow about $400USD. i am truely drooling over an SMP athlon board, but it may get out of hand $$ wise and i can't really say i need an SMP board (but i hear they are very smooth running!!) .

i was looking around VIAs website and they have a quite a few linux docs and patches - so i think they would be as good as intel for linux support.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59514 date=1044628296]
    hey! thanks for the replies people!
    i am hoping to blow about $400USD. i am truely drooling over an SMP athlon board, but it may get out of hand $$ wise and i can't really say i need an SMP board (but i hear they are very smooth running!!) .

i was looking around VIAs website and they have a quite a few linux docs and patches - so i think they would be as good as intel for linux support.
    [/quote]

Everything VIA ships is linux enabled, they support Linux in the same way nVidia does for their GFX cards, and the rest is mostly in kernel and thus GPLed. I know that there are even some people with VIA writing code for the Linux kernel, and they plan to fully corporate with the OpenBeOS project - so they are very open to free software development.

AMD has a long history of supporting Linux, fx the Opteron has full Linux support already, and has had for months, and AMD provides specs for the kernel hackers to work with.

Intel are supporting Linux, they do provide specs.. but support is flaky at times, and they are said to be a hard company to work with.

However if the plan is to get a desktop box, and you don't plan to do any serious calculations, especially FP math - go with the Eden platform, it's 17cmx10cm there are ultra small cases avail. It's a very woman friendly setup.... seriously the Eden platform has a nice concept - instead of making a very CPU centric system we spread the load on several specially designed parts of the entire platform... and you get an awful lot of PC for your money...

For a "joe average" desktop, get a good AMD mobo 333KT based, with 512 megs of quality DDR ram and a small Athlon XP chip.. and get one of those sweet silent cooling setups, they might be more expensive, but the noise won't make you suicidal.

hey thanks for the info Lovey! I was thinking intel was better, but i guess not. AMD it is.

the eden platform look pretty nifty... i will look into it more.
    paul

[quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59521 date=1044637337]
    hey thanks for the info Lovey! I was thinking intel was better, but i guess not. AMD it is.

paul
    [/quote]

I'm very hot on the Eden platform, I think it would make a great desktop PC or for that matter a great home server.. it's low powered, it runs cool, it offers lots of features... hell it has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard for assisting DVD decoding, if that's not a good idea I don't know what is.

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59521 date=1044637337]

paul
    [/quote]

Well not to start an Intel/AMD war -- Intel really dropped the ball with the p4. The P4 has some nice features that should be fully enabled and fully exploited by the time the P4 line dies or the P5 shows up. Until the 64 bit CPUs roll out, AMD still edges for almost everything (except P4 oprimized apps, and 100% FP math).

I am really looking forward to seeing the battle of the 64. Will Intel have the upper hand again? Or will AMD reign supreme with the compatibility .. who knows? Cant wait to find out!