Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

questions for you people! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions for you people!

Re:questions for you people!

I am really looking forward to seeing the battle of the 64. Will Intel have the upper hand again? Or will AMD reign supreme with the compatibility .. who knows? Cant wait to find out!
    You and me both. Too bad AMD has pushed back the date for the ClawHammers, and the Opterons. :'(

Kind Mastermind

Lovey,

About that C3 Eden set up you were talking about. Is the Eden chip smp capable? I was reading up a little on the chip but didn't find anything to support that. Where did you read that? I have an 800mhz C3 equipped computer and a Cyrix MII/333, so to say that I love this little underdog would be an understatement. I would really love to know the specs on such a system so that I might eke a little bit of money out of the wife for a kickin' smp box using C3's.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59552 date=1044653514]
    Lovey,

About that C3 Eden set up you were talking about. Is the Eden chip smp capable? I was reading up a little on the chip but didn't find anything to support that. Where did you read that? I have an 800mhz C3 equipped computer and a Cyrix MII/333, so to say that I love this little underdog would be an understatement. I would really love to know the specs on such a system so that I might eke a little bit of money out of the wife for a kickin' smp box using C3's.

Cheers
    [/quote]

The C3 chip is pin by pin equal to the pentium 3 (I think that's the model) and I think it's SMP able, but the Eden platform as such isn't (it's a bundled mobo).

But the moment I know if and how this setup can be made, I will let you know, since I want one.

-edit-
    http://thesiliconunderground.editthispage.com/discuss/msgReader$245

Kind Mastermind

Speaking of Eden processors, here is a single board computer that uses it. Mighty nifty. Makes me think that making a homemade, intelligent robot is not as hard as I thought.

Cheers

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59525 date=1044639157]
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59521 date=1044637337]
    hey thanks for the info Lovey! I was thinking intel was better, but i guess not. AMD it is.

the eden platform look pretty nifty... i will look into it more.
    paul
    [/quote]

I'm very hot on the Eden platform, I think it would make a great desktop PC or for that matter a great home server.. it's low powered, it runs cool, it offers lots of features... hell it has a hardware MPEG2 decoder onboard for assisting DVD decoding, if that's not a good idea I don't know what is.
    [/quote]

Wow...not bad...I'll have to do some reading.

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=3;threadid=6303;start=0#59551 date=1044653227]
    I am really looking forward to seeing the battle of the 64. Will Intel have the upper hand again? Or will AMD reign supreme with the compatibility .. who knows? Cant wait to find out!
    You and me both. Too bad AMD has pushed back the date for the ClawHammers, and the Opterons. :'(
    [/quote]

ClawHammers? Is this the alternative name for the Athlon-64, or is this something I've not heard of yet?

ClawHammers? Is this the alternative name for the Athlon-64, or is this something I've not heard of yet?
    The ClawHammers are the dual instuction AMD's. 32-bit and 64-bit instructions for the home users. The Opteron, a.k.a. Sledgehammer, are the true 64-bit processors.

Good Guru

Does anyone know what Linux is gonna do for the Hammers? I have planned on getting the Clawhammer CPU not the Sledgehammer due to the assumed cost difference (if I am wrong, thats cool! I want true 64 anyhow). Will the kernels allow software emulation of 32 bit code on the Sledghammers?