Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Configuring Gnome in RH 8.0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configuring Gnome in RH 8.0

Configuring Gnome in RH 8.0

Hi. Have just installed RH 8.0, and it looks to be a nice desktop distro. I've gone with Gnome, which is surprising, because I've always hated it, much preferred KDE, till now.

Anyway, too cut a short story long, in KDE you can set it so that double clicking the top or title bar of a window maximises it, rather than shading it. Anyone know where I can do this in Gnome?

Also, I would like to have one of those "Show the Desktop" buttons in Panel, next to (dare I call it) the Start Button. Any tips on setting this up?

Good Guru

Re:Configuring Gnome in RH 8.0

That I think was part of the code left out for fixing.

Just for those who have no clue as to what the hell I am talking about here is a quick rehash on history -- minus the dumbass politics.

KDE was the one to be beheld. Then a licence change made it potentially unfree anymore. GNU people got scared and made GNOME. Gnome started out pretty crappy but all were pretty crappy. After a bit KDE changed the licence back, realizing the mistake. GNOME kept going. However until, GNOME 1.2 code quality wasnt an issue as just getting code out, must compete with the evil KDE!! Well that kinda backfired to put it lightly. Try understanding KDE code, rough -- really rough. Try that with GNOME code. Now unless you are Jesus, you just looked at some really fancy gabbledegook.

Thats the problem. GNOME is right on par with KDE except in code cleanliness. GNOME2 is the cleansing of the code. Only clean code is to be allowed in, and only features that can cleanly be re-added will be. So fancy shit like the transparent panles and stuff are gone for now. I have yet to upgrade to GNOME 2.2, and am waiting on a friend to burn it for me after he d/l it. SO I can tell you if that helps. I am sure that the Ximian 2 relase is going to be stellar as well.

Disclaimer :: I am not a GNOME coder and have read all of this with the understanding as fact. If this ends up wrong -- I have not been drinking enough. Send me money to reinstate my drunkeness. Thank you. Schotty..

Thanks for the insight Schotty. Knowing the how's and the why's of something and how it came into being really adds to your appreciation of the thing in question.

Gnome2 is a very impressive desktop.

Okay, about the unfreeness of KDE - not true.

The issue was that the QT license (the toolkit on which KDE is build) was incompatible with the GPL, it was still considered free software (check with the GNU free software license roundup).

KDE has never been potentially unfree, never - it was incompatible with certain aspects of the GPL, mainly the fact that all patches had to be submitted to Trolltech and they decided weither or not it got in the mainline distribution.

Right now the bulk of KDE is GPLed including QT, which is more than GNOME has present - since GNOME is largely covered by the LGPL, so if licensing really is an issue for you - you should infact go with KDE.

If I hear anyone utter the frase "KDE in unfree" again I will personally hunt down and shoot the bastard... It's uninformated buttsh*t - pure FUD..

If you must attack KDE, please do so on valid technical points.

I don't think that the problem with the license was that kde was going to become unfree, I think that the problem is that you were going to have to pay TrollTech to develop commercial applications using QT.

GTK never had a commercial license AFAIK.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=6286;start=0#59420 date=1044516976]
    If I hear anyone utter the frase "KDE in unfree" again I will personally hunt down and shoot the bastard... It's uninformated buttsh*t - pure FUD..
    [/quote]

Ummm...K...chill.

Good Guru

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=6;threadid=6286;start=0#59420 date=1044516976]
    Okay, about the unfreeness of KDE - not true.

The issue was that the QT license (the toolkit on which KDE is build) was incompatible with the GPL, it was still considered free software (check with the GNU free software license roundup).

KDE has never been potentially unfree, never - it was incompatible with certain aspects of the GPL, mainly the fact that all patches had to be submitted to Trolltech and they decided weither or not it got in the mainline distribution.

Right now the bulk of KDE is GPLed including QT, which is more than GNOME has present - since GNOME is largely covered by the LGPL, so if licensing really is an issue for you - you should infact go with KDE.
    Actually, no you are wrong. The original licesnce change was to a royalty based system which was an idiotic move in my opinion. IT was agianst what Linux stood for. Since then, it has been corrected to what it is now. A much better license for commercial standpoints. As for Joe User, and Joe "I am giving my code away" Coder, the license really didnt impact them at all. But people like VMWare who may have been inclined to make a QT version would have been slapped hard with fees.

If you must attack KDE, please do so on valid technical points.
    [/quote]

Want my address, I will give it to you freely :P

And the points were valid, albeit non technical.

I fail to understand why people think it's bad to pay for software libraries if you intend to charge for your product...

I mean, why should other people GIVE you their code, for you to make money off, I think the old licensing was great.

I most certainly do not want people to make money of my work unless I get a peice of the action, I have no problem with giving people full access if they develop under the GPL, but if you close the source, pack it up and ship it for cash.. then it does not further society as a whole, and why should I help to actively destroy my own ideal?

So does folks like RH pay to include things like KDE and Gnome in their packages? Or does the software developer just give it to them?

Ras

[quote author=Rastar link=board=6;threadid=6286;start=0#59526 date=1044639876]
    So does folks like RH pay to include things like KDE and Gnome in their packages? Or does the software developer just give it to them?

Ras
    [/quote]

KDE and GNOME is developed under the GPL and the LGPL, so folks like RH doesn't have to pay, but the do contibute back by paying for development of certain things.. RH fx is very much into binutils and glibc, those bits are almost entirely sponsored by RH.
    MDK fx pays for KOffice development, and a great deal of KDE development...

But I'm guessing you didn't understand.. if you make a product like VMWare, which costs money, why should you get the libraries for free (the included toolkit libraries that is like QT or GTK).. You clearly don't provide anything back to the community, you don't even repay the community for it's kindness of giving code away.. that makes you, as the warez people would say.. a leecher bitch.