Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 gigs of mp3s - Need some organization.

20 gigs of mp3s - Need some organization.

Hi I have 20 gigs of mp3s on my network drive and my brother is complaining that it is very difficult to find any mp3s he wants. Is there something I can do to make it easier to find the needed mp3s? Maybe some kinda script I can run to have all Blink182 mp3s in a Blink182 directory? Please give me some suggestions...
    Thanks

Re:20 gigs of mp3s - Need some organization.

no, what you need to do is setup an ftp server

you could probably write up a fairly simple shell script to sort all of them into folders. Something like
    For $i in 'ls blink*.mp3
    'mv $i ~/blink'

or something. My shell scripting abilities are non-existent.

Good Guru

well what I do is create a folder for each artist. Then in that folder, I create a subdirectory that is for the album, and all of the album's mp3's go there. For CD's I got that for the most part sucked realy bad except for one song or so, I just have a genre folder for whatever it would fall into.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=2;threadid=6298;start=0#59483 date=1044592954]
    well what I do is create a folder for each artist. Then in that folder, I create a subdirectory that is for the album, and all of the album's mp3's go there. For CD's I got that for the most part sucked realy bad except for one song or so, I just have a genre folder for whatever it would fall into.
    [/quote]

What I did was create folders for all my artists (Yes, it took a while ) and then inside there I had all their songs. If an artist had more than one song in my collection, I created a folder for it. Otherwise it got put in the "Misc" directory.

Mentor

I just made a folder for all artists and put all songs in there, deleted double ups. Didn't bother with genre or CD's, too hard.

Database based on ID3 tag information maybe - I know there are tools out there to extract the information, enter it into say MySQL and then generate playlists.

or here's the easy choice... FreeAmp (now Zinf) has a cool feature called MyMusic (have him use that player instead, it's avail for unix, Windows and mac..)

You could set up a webpage that could link the files by artist and then by song.

This would take far less work than you might think

Just a thought.

Ras

Good Guru

Didnt someone ask about that same thing Rastar? I think so. And I believe you are very correct. Somebody wanted to dump a file list into html, and make each file a link to the file. There was some perl or python script IIRC (Hell, GnuVince may have done the app and did it in O'Caml or Ruby).

Hmm that makes me think now .... Did one of our elite create the sucker ?? ?? ??

I never have a problem locating songs. You just gotta keep the filenames in the same format. For example:

Linkin Park - Forgotten.mp3
    Metallica - Fade to Black.mp3

As long as they are in order, it should be easy.

Oh, 20 Gigs! That would probably crash your file browser. I'd make a directory for all the artists.