Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

finally back after a week of hell :/ - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: finally back after a week of hell :/

FRIGGIN HELL!

I'm just back also after a week of being offline. It was sheer hell. I never realized how much I use the internet.

Last Sunday the house next door got hit by a lightning. I was working on my desktop when the thinder struck somewhere very near and it was so loud I almost fell out of my chair. Then naturally paniced and stripped out all the cables; all the cables but one :? I forgot to plug out the adsl cord from the modem/router.

Next day I plug things back and on the surface everything seems to be fine 'cept no internet. I go through the usual steps to find out where the problem lies. Few days later I got it narrowed own to the modem/router unit. I opened it up and you could tell it was scorched. Of course a new one set me back 100 EUR.

I take the new moden/switch home just to find out there is no power converter. I take it back to the store and they give me one. I go back to, I hook it up and nothing happens. _Nothing_!

Turns out the modem/switch is fubared. No leds light up, nothing. K, I take it back to the store but they are out of stock with that specific model. I use my Jedi powers to persuade them to give me a more expencive model for the same prise. Finally things were looking good... for a while that is. With the new modem/switch/firewall I could get my mom's box networking which made things a lot easier around here. But the thing is my gentoo won't get an ip from the switch box.

After days of trying to reconfigure my network settings and asking around in irc I once again narrowed down to broken hardware; my NIC that is to be more specific. :?

K, it's time to rob on NIC off one of these spare boxes I have lying around here, then I had to find out what modules I have to compile into my kernel and the usual stuff. After recompiling thing were looking good again and I could log into irc from cli. Then I plugged in the rest of the cables and put the covers back on, rebooted and ended up with no eth0 :x

Then I went about the normal ways of trying to solve the problem. I spent about an hour in irc (from my mom's box) asking for help. Then I came back to my own box and it was working again. :shock:

Funny thing is I had not touched it and suddenly it worked. Then I naturally phoned Mulder and Scully.

Whatever it is or was I'm just happy to be back online.

*phiev* I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thanks guys

Janne,

That's the best use of Jedi Mind powers I've heard of. :cow:

I'm glad it's all back up and working for you.

Advisor
    damn janne... fucking crazy

Today I bought a new ethernet card and put the one I installed yesterday back to the spare box. It took a couple of kernel compiles to get it working but now I'm getting pretty good at it

I also bought a 2nd monitor from the recycling centre to use with my twinview. That way I won't have to always steal the monitor from the server box. Those two kept me busy for some time.

w00t!! :w00t: :w00t:

yar

That's the way. of course, if the server is just a file server, and you can ssh to it, there's really not a need to keep a dedicated monitor for it...

Yep. Unless of course your server monitor is (as the French say) SUPER-COOL!

One of my buddies is a bad, bad compu-packrat; he's got a basement full of old computer equipment he refuses to part with. A couple of years ago I went over to help him test monitors to see which ones he might find a home or use for and which ones he had to recycle. As a thank-you he hooked me up with this sweet 13" black + white VGA monitor from about 1990. It's *perfect* for Linux server duty because it's light, compact, and perfectly adequate for CLI stuff since I don't run X on my server (I mean...who does?) When, for whatever reason, I can't SSH in from my workstation or just don't have my workstation powered up it's neat being able to get all 286 on everyone's ass.

The thing is that the server is actually not mine but my dad's. And I will be moving town in a couple weeks. So that way I don't have to steal my dad's server monitor when I leave. I will not go back to just using one monitor if I can help it.

Did you have any trouble getting X going with dual monitors? I knew a guy at my old job who ran two flats panels (drool...) with Debian but I think he had to do a little hacking to get it going. Are both monitors the same size or were you able to split the desktop succesfully using different sized monitors?