Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Home Network

Thread: Home Network

Mentor

Home Network

I'm about to be moving into a flat. We have got an external ADSL modem, which will be plugged into a 486 running smoothwall, acting as our firewall. That then goes into an 8 port switching hub, which we will all plug into. My question is this, what configuration will we need to do to smoothwall? Is there a PET about, or does someone have a link that can explain what we need to do, and how we need to do it.
    Cheers
    CP
    <edit/>This http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/broadband/dsl500/ is the modem we are using, it seems to be all set up as a firewall/router already. What extra needs to be done. Will our planned setup work with this modem?</edit>

Good Guru

Re:Home Network

Turn off the modem's gateway and firewall features and just use your 486 for an OpenBSD gateway. Simpler than Linux to setup IHMO, and pf is a hell of alot better than netfilter, again IMHO.

I got a guide, and GnuVince has one still up there in the PET section

Dump Smoothwall. The D-Link and your 8 port switch are all you need.

Mentor

OK, so that is two totally conflicting pieces of advice. From what I understand, If I used OpenBSD/Linux I would be more secure, and thats about the only difference, is that right?
    Cheers
    CP

Mentor

OK, after some clarification here is what we want to do. We have approximately 7 PC's between the 4 of us. What we intend to do, is have 5 pc's on the protected network, then one set up as a server, and the 486 as our firewall. So the 486 will have 3 NIC's in it. One going to the server, one to the hub, which is protected, and one for the modem.
    What will be easier to do this with? Smoothwall, Win2k, or OpenBSD?
    Cheers
    CP

Good Guru

[quote author=CP link=board=4;threadid=6280;start=0#59306 date=1044412622]
    [/quote]
    If I have to choose only from those choices, I would go with OpenBSD. But then again, I'm Debian kind of guy.

Good Guru

[quote author=CP link=board=4;threadid=6280;start=0#59306 date=1044412622]
    So the 486 will have 3 NIC's in it. One going to the server, one to the hub, which is protected, and one for the modem.
    Cheers
    CP
    [/quote]

Actually all you really need is two -- LAN and WAN ports. The DSL modem/converter/bridge (whatever they give you, it does vary) can be plugged into the WAN port, and your hub/switch can be hooked up to your LAN port. Just plug it inot a non-uplink port.

Then if you setup the machine with port forwarding rules, you are all set. Jus tmake sure you setup NAT routing and its pretty much all done (good firewall rules help too)

If you have broadband, the easiest way to get OpenBSD is to get their boot disc and boot off of that and do an FTP install. Taskes ~ an hour from d/l to configuring and actually getting it to work your first time. I got it to about 35 minutes or so by my second time. It is easy.

Mentor

Well heres what we've decided. I'm arriving at the flat in 10 days, but my friend is there in 2. He has no *Nix experience at all, so is going to go with smoothwall. Then when I arrive down there, I'm going to setup OpenBSD for us. I went and joined screamingelectron, and put in everything I wanted it to do, and they all said go for it, so I'll just post over there from now on with my OpenBSD questions. So thanks for the help guys, looks like I'm back to being a newbie again
    CP