Thread: general mandrake questions

general mandrake questions

I am trying to install NVidia drivers. After downloading the 2 files, and unpacking them, I go into the kernel folder and when I type 'make install' I get this message
    "cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -ffixed-r13 -mfixed-range=f10-f15,f32-f127 -falign-functions=32 -DIA64=1 -D_LINUX64=1 -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=4050 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNV_INT64_OK -DNV_64_BITS -DNVCPU_IA64_LINUX -DNVCPU_IA64 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual nv.c
    cc1: invalid option `fixed-range=f10-f15,f32-f127'
    make: *** [nv.o] Error "

Before I installed gcc from the package manager I would get a message saying that the kernel wasn't supported (can't remember anymore, I'm just mentioning this cause I thought installing gcc would get rid of that message). Any ideas?

I'm really new at this so please excuse me if i've mislabeled something or aren't making sense...

Also, in UserDrake, to what groups should I add myself to?
    While I'm at it, I can only get sound out of 2 speakers (I have 4) with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, does anyone use this souncard? I seem to remember something about linux not supporting 4 speakers for this setup.

thanx a lot
    Dswissmiss

Re:general mandrake questions

A couple of things stand out there. It appears cc is being used, not gcc (however, cc may just be a symlink to gcc). This may be a red herring, but judging by the macro names it defines, it looks for all intents and purposes as though it thinks it is compiling for 64 bit architecture. Other than that, you can try messing with the makefile to remove that -mfixed-range compiler option.