Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cannot activate my modem in RH 8

Re:cannot activate my modem in RH 8

I looked into my win OS:
    In Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, it says:

*Obtain an IP address automatically
    *Obtain DNS server address automatically

so what are the corresponding lines that I should add to my /etc/resolv.conf?

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59324 date=1044435817]
    [quote author=leila link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59322 date=1044434361]
    pbharris,

My /etc/resolv.conf is empty!
    [/quote]
    Add your isp domain name and ip address to it.

Here's an example:

search yourisp.com
    nameserver 208.164.186.1
    nameserver 208.164.186.2

You may have to use Windows OS to find out what your isp ip numbers are or call and ask your isp for them.

Also try pointing your /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS2.

[/quote]

Well if you are using Win XP, then in a DOS window type ipconfig to view the IP number.

If you are using Win 9x then I forgot exactly what the command is to view the IP number. You can try winicfg or something similar to this. Try searching for one similar to this.

Sometimes it may show only one ip number but that should work. I added only one in my /etc/resolv.conf and it works.

what do you mean by these lines:

search yourisp.com
    nameserver 208.164.186.1
    nameserver 208.164.186.2

"search yourisp.com" menas "search (ip address of the ISP provider)"? or (ip address of my own computer)?

Do

nameserver 208.164.186.1
    nameserver 208.164.186.2

have to be replaced by our own nameservers?

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59327 date=1044437125]
    Well if you are using Win XP, then in a DOS window type ipconfig to view the IP number.

If you are using Win 9x then I forgot exactly what the command is to view the IP number. You can try winicfg or something similar to this. Try searching for one similar to this.

Sometimes it may show only one ip number but that should work. I added only one in my /etc/resolv.conf and it works.

[/quote]

You should be able to go to your isp's website and find the IP addy for the DNS servers. If not then call them up and ask for them. Enter them into the DNS server 1 and 2 entries on your /etc/resolve folder.

10Ded

Good Guru

Look leila -- if you use RH 8, then there is zero need to dick with the DNS and IP bullshit. There is an option for RedHat to do all of that for you when you dial out. Essentially just goto the network control panel and set it up from there and there will be a check box (just as in windoze) for getting the DNS from the ISP when using DHCP. Also, I agree with GhostDawg (nice catch on this one, almost slipped my eyes) in using /dev/ttySX (in your case S2 since it is the third port com1 is ttyS0 - com4 is ttyS3).

If worse comes to worse I can take and detail out exactly what I do to dial up.

Can you please write down the details?
    I went to System Settings -> Network
    Under the DNS tab should I write down the ip of the primary DNS? but where is the option to enable DNS?
    Should I make the host tab empty?

One thing, when booting linux I get this message:
    Bringing up interface eth0: Determing ip information for eth0
    failed.

Is this related? what should I do with eth0?

I already changed cua2 to ttyS2.
    I also emtied the file /etc/resolv.conf

Thanks.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59364 date=1044471486]
    Look leila -- if you use RH 8, then there is zero need to dick with the DNS and IP bullshit. There is an option for RedHat to do all of that for you when you dial out. Essentially just goto the network control panel and set it up from there and there will be a check box (just as in windoze) for getting the DNS from the ISP when using DHCP. Also, I agree with GhostDawg (nice catch on this one, almost slipped my eyes) in using /dev/ttySX (in your case S2 since it is the third port com1 is ttyS0 - com4 is ttyS3).

If worse comes to worse I can take and detail out exactly what I do to dial up.
    [/quote]

Good Guru

[quote author=leila link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59393 date=1044495901]
    Under the DNS tab should I write down the ip of the primary DNS? but where is the option to enable DNS?

failed.

Thanks.
    [/quote]

Allright lemme see .. for DNS here is what I got --

When you run Network Device control, goto your modem entry and hit configure. A "Network Configuration" box should popup, and again click on the modem and then edit. On the default tab, "General", almost midway down is where the DNS shit is. I have for mine:

Autmoatically obtain IP adress with dialup
    hostname field is blank
    And the checkbox is checked for "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider".

That should do it. Dial out, and see if the DNS servers are applied to the DNS tab on the "Network Device Control" box. I use the modem lights applet for GNOME to dial, but was originally using the "Netwrok Device Control" to dial for me.

Lemme know if that helps out. If you are missing a modem entry, just create one, and go from there. IF errors popup we can take care of them as they popup.

As for eth0, that is your ethernet card. Apparently it is setup fr DHCP (probably) and cant see a DHCP server. You can use the same tool to configure that as we were for setting up the modem. Just give it an IP and that should shut it up.

thanks schotty.
    I did as you said.
    when in the devices tab I choose ppp0 and press activate button... it takes forever:
    "activating network ppp device, please wait..."

at the same time it says ppp0 is activated.
    but when I type "ifug ppp0" I get:
    ppp0 already up, initiating redial
    You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

why it says that it is already up? I didn't hear the modem dialing. I don't think I am connected because the phone is not busy. telnet and the browser don't seem to be working either.
    eg:

telnet ***
    telnet: ***: Temporary failure in name resolution
    ***: Host name lookup failure

This is how my modem is configured in the advanced tab:

hangup timeout: 600
    dialup mode: manual

use touchtone dialing
    baud rate: 57600

do you know what is going on?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59486 date=1044594470]
    [quote author=leila link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59393 date=1044495901]

failed.

Thanks.
    [/quote]

Allright lemme see .. for DNS here is what I got --

When you run Network Device control, goto your modem entry and hit configure. A "Network Configuration" box should popup, and again click on the modem and then edit. On the default tab, "General", almost midway down is where the DNS shit is. I have for mine:

Autmoatically obtain IP adress with dialup
    hostname field is blank
    And the checkbox is checked for "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider".

That should do it. Dial out, and see if the DNS servers are applied to the DNS tab on the "Network Device Control" box. I use the modem lights applet for GNOME to dial, but was originally using the "Netwrok Device Control" to dial for me.

Lemme know if that helps out. If you are missing a modem entry, just create one, and go from there. IF errors popup we can take care of them as they popup.

As for eth0, that is your ethernet card. Apparently it is setup fr DHCP (probably) and cant see a DHCP server. You can use the same tool to configure that as we were for setting up the modem. Just give it an IP and that should shut it up.

[/quote]

What is your modems make and model? Perhaps you have a windows modem or software modem, in which case you would either A) need to find the appropriate linux driver for your modem ( if you're lucky ) or B) buy a new modem. This sounds alot like a windows modem look into the brand and chipset that your modem is running then search for a driver or patch which would enable you to use your modem under linux. Good Luck

Good Guru

[quote author=leila link=board=4;threadid=6261;start=0#59634 date=1044746152]
    thanks schotty.
    I did as you said.
    when in the devices tab I choose ppp0 and press activate button... it takes forever:
    "activating network ppp device, please wait..."

at the same time it says ppp0 is activated.
    but when I type "ifug ppp0" I get:
    ppp0 already up, initiating redial
    You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

why it says that it is already up? I didn't hear the modem dialing. I don't think I am connected because the phone is not busy. telnet and the browser don't seem to be working either.
    eg:

telnet ***
    telnet: ***: Temporary failure in name resolution
    ***: Host name lookup failure

This is how my modem is configured in the advanced tab:

hangup timeout: 600
    dialup mode: manual

use touchtone dialing
    baud rate: 57600

do you know what is going on?
    [/quote]

I had a bug like that at first... now what the hell did I do .. :-\ Well, I troubleshooted it this way and got lucky (plus I had a hardware modem, better than WinModems anyday).

Just for shits and giggles -- have you looked at your dmesg output and saw that a device was detected? I think we did (I cant scroll down and see our first few posts ...)

IF it is thats good. Then lets make sure that the Network device control is all setup right. If that all looks good, try for shits and giggles running RedHat icon -> System Tools -> Internet Configuration Wizard and stepping thru that.

Also one thing -- I just thought of it -- In your modem setup, on the Advanced tab, right below where your modem timeout is, make sure the first and third boxes are checked. That will alleviate problems down the line.

Also, the RedHat tools are essentialy facncy frontends to wvdial. The configuration file is rather simple and I really should have given this out sooner :

Code:
    [Modem0]
    Modem = /dev/modem
    Baud = 57600
    SetVolume = 0
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Init1 = ATZ
    FlowControl = CRTSCTS
    [Dialer phoenix]
    Username = secret stuff
    Password = aint givin this away either
    Phone = 224-7915