Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New mobo / proc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New mobo / proc

Advisor

New mobo / proc

I got myself an ASUS A7V (Thanx LC) and an AMD Athlon @ 1.1 Ghz. Today I went and installed them, everything seems to be installed propperly, and I set the jumpers on the mobo for Jumperfree or whatever it's called, so that you can change clock speed in the bios. Now, when I turn on the computer, the fans, hard drives, and cdrom drive all power up, the power LED comes on, and the HD LED comes on (and stays on). Now the HD LED could just be plugged in on the wrong prongs, i'm not entirely sure, but even so, shouldn't something more happen? I get no signal to the monitor at all, the bios speaker doesn't make any noise, no signs of life at all. If I hit the power button on the front of the box nothing happens, I have to shut it down using the switch on the PSU. The reset button seems to make the fan go a bit slower when it's held in but that's about it.

I tried resetting the BIOS, by unplugging everything, removing the batter, and then shorting out the solder points to clear the bios, but that seems to have not changed anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Advisor

Re:New mobo / proc

I just tried changing the "jumperfree" setting so that you would have to manually change jumper settings, this didn't seem to have any effect.

Advisor

Just out of curiousity, I checked what happened if the CPU fan is not plugged in. I get a long beep from the bios speaker then it power's itself off again. I dunno if that changes anything or not....but it's worth noting.

Good Guru

check the atx connector. perhaps your plug has a loosened wire. I had this happen a few times.

I think it's the mobo, I had the same problem with it.

Advisor

K, sounds like the mobo. Guess I'll have to get a new one of those too :-\

Good Guru

again check the ATX connector. It may be the problem. The wires get loose and start to work themselves out. IIRC its a purple wire that controls whatever is missing. I had the same thing occur on several boxes at work.

Advisor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=6164;start=0#58628 date=1043522171]
    again check the ATX connector. It may be the problem. The wires get loose and start to work themselves out. IIRC its a purple wire that controls whatever is missing. I had the same thing occur on several boxes at work.
    [/quote]

You're talking the power to the mobo right? My old mobo works fine with it, so unless it's a connection on the mobo that wouldn't be it. For now I'm using my old mobo though, so that I can actually do stuff

hehe, at least you got free kleenexs

A long beep mean your RAM is seated bad, or is bad. At least that what that beep means on the A7V here.