Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

RH8 & modem lights?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH8 & modem lights?

Associate

RH8 & modem lights?

RH8
    Modem: USR 56k external (serial)

I'm trying to get the modem lights app to work. Little display in lower right corner.
    In preferences:
    connect command: /sbin/ifup ppp0
    It connects when I click on it but no action with the lights. Is there something else I need to set up for this app to monitor my connection?
    Thanks

Re:RH8 & modem lights?

hi tlf,
    you may need to use the desktop environment app to have the lights work. e.g. if you are using gnome use the gnome dialer, if you are using kde use the kppp

I know it has nothing to do on the subject but how bout trying Tleds this app displays network flow by blinking your keyboard LEDs. Try it out you may just like it.

Associate

I know this is going to sound retarded but how do I get to the gnome dialer? ??? I've looked for it.
    I went through the INTERNET CONFIGURATION WIZARD and it set up my connection. I open NETWORK DEVICE CONTROL and hit ACTIVATE to connect to the internet now.

Good Guru

Right click on your gnome panel -> goto "Add to Panel" -> "Inetrnet" -> "Modem Lights".

Then right click on it and goto preferences.

On the first page it brings up, note the correct way to satrt and stop the dialup connection. If you used the Redhat network device control center, ifup ppp0 is the correct startup command. Also not the last option, of show correct time and colors.

If you have it working right, you should have a throughput meter, a connection duration, throughput graph, a transmit and recieve light each, and a connect disconnect button.

Associate

Right click on your gnome panel -> goto "Add to Panel" -> "Inetrnet" -> "Modem Lights".

Then right click on it and goto preferences.

Did that.
    On the first page it brings up, note the correct way to satrt and stop the dialup connection. If you used the Redhat network device control center, ifup ppp0 is the correct startup command.
    Did that but ifup ppp0 did not work.
    /sbin/ifup ppp0 works. meaning it dials and connects.
    Yes I am using network device control center. It's the only way I see to set it up.
    Show connect time and throughput is checked.
    What's with the modem lock on the advanced tab?

It connects but modem lights do not respond.

Good Guru

hmm, you may have some odd permissions. Lemme check ...

Associate

Success!
    I found kppp. I set up my connection with kppp. Modem lights are working.
    Thanks to everyone for all you help. ;D

Hi All,

Sorry to jump in so late in the discussion, but I have a similar problem getting the Gnome modem lights to work. I am using RH 8 and connect with the "/sbin/ifup ppp0" command. Well actually, I type "connect", but have that aliased in my .bashrc file to "/sbin/ifup ppp0. Since my RH 8 box uses an internal modem (yeah, I know I normally use externals but anyway..) I really miss my little "blinkin' lights" on this box. What is this kppp thing and will messing with it be likely to hose my modem?

I use the Gnome desktop, not KDE, and kppp sounds like a KDE thing. Can it be accessed from Gnome? Sorry for the dumb questions.

Jim

in this months linux journal there is a question like this in best of tech support - i'll have a ooky when i get home, in the meantime i am sure you can find it online.

okay - ican't find it online - here is the straight dope from it

Q: 'I can't disconnect modem using appelt modem lights'
    A: 'default set up is messed up, click preferences for modem applet light, select advanced, then set modem lock file to coorect one - try /var/laock/LCK..modem