Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

INIT: Id "x" responding too fast - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INIT: Id "x" responding too fast

Re:INIT: Id "x" responding too fast

First of all, dump those POS RPM NVidia packages. They are nothing but trouble. The tarballs are just as easy, if not easier.

tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz
    cd NVIDIA_kernel/
    make install

tar xvzf xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz
    cd NVIDIA_GLX/
    make install

cd /etc/X11
    vi XF86Config(-4)

*Change 'driver "nv"' to 'driver "nvidia"'

uncomment the lines [load GLcore] and [load dri] if they are there with a # in front.

Add this line in the [modules] section:

Load glx

Make sure that the kernel package is compiled FIRST!

All will go well. Usually when the respawning error comes about on my machines is when I use a new kernel, and the XF86Config still points to "nvidia" which is not in the new kernel.

Oh, 'ya startx still doesn't work.
    When you say startx doesn't work are you saying you are still getting a cannot be found message or are you getting an error from startx?

If startx still cannot be found is it possible that you uninstalled some parts of X when you were uninstalling the kernels?

i must recpectively disagree with kernel_killer, i have found the rpms to be pretty decent and recovery in case you wish to go back is easier. i have used both quite a bit and i used to think the tarballs were better, now i like the rpms more.

adding a --force to the rpm arguement will help a bit.

Where I'm at, and the long ways I still need to go:

I was able to get the nvidia drivers, had failed earlier to get the GLX's but now have them, and installed.

When I now do startx it returns:

Code:
    NVIDIA(0) failed to intitalize the NVidia module.
    No Screens found but have an unusable configeration.
    Fatal Server Error:
         No screens found
    XIO fatal IO error 104
    I played around with xf86config, but that provided no joy, either.

I created a new partition with the hopes of copying the partition to a new space, while I re-installed 8.0 into the old space, no joy there either. Get errors saying too many mounts in /dev/hda , when as far as I can tell, I have none. This prevents a backup to cp (and without X no neat or any? CD-writers)

parted returned an error that I needed to use e2fsck on /dev/hda but in fact it won't handle ext3 partitions, and I can't find a fsck fixer that will. I was trying to cp with parted to the new partition... no joy there either.

I'd just format and reinstall over what I have, but I have far too much to lose (my business is all there) to do that.

Given the above messes and the facts that my knowledgde is barely above the dangerous level (but am so determined, I'll really mess it up)

What is the fsck for ext3?

Is there an CLI editor that is simple (unlike vi, emacs, etc - I use kate) that I can fix the mess with?

How can I fix the init of the nvidia kernel module?

How can I fix the "no screens found" problem?

How can I cp the fu ck'd partition to the new one?

There might be more but answers to these would be a huge start.

Thanks!

Ken

I was able to get the nvidia drivers, had failed earlier to get the GLX's but now have them, and installed.

When I now do startx it returns:

Code:
    Fatal Server Error:
         No screens found
    XIO fatal IO error 104
    I played around with xf86config, but that provided no joy, either.

I created a new partition with the hopes of copying the partition to a new space, while I re-installed 8.0 into the old space, no joy there either. Get errors saying too many mounts in /dev/hda , when as far as I can tell, I have none. This prevents a backup to cp (and without X no neat or any? CD-writers)

parted returned an error that I needed to use e2fsck on /dev/hda but in fact it won't handle ext3 partitions, and I can't find a fsck fixer that will. I was trying to cp with parted to the new partition... no joy there either.

I'd just format and reinstall over what I have, but I have far too much to lose (my business is all there) to do that.

Given the above messes and the facts that my knowledgde is barely above the dangerous level (but am so determined, I'll really mess it up)

What is the fsck for ext3?

Is there an CLI editor that is simple (unlike vi, emacs, etc - I use kate) that I can fix the mess with?

How can I fix the init of the nvidia kernel module?

How can I fix the "no screens found" problem?

How can I cp the fu ck'd partition to the new one?

Would it be possible to put my ATI card back in, and have any hope that kudzu would fix the problem?

Oh, 'ya, is there a way to get a dialer ? I used to use kppp but with only CLI I'm stuck going back to windoze to get ISP connection.

There might be more but answers to these would be a huge start.

Thanks!

Ken

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=6231;start=0#59000 date=1044036275]
    i must recpectively disagree with kernel_killer, i have found the rpms to be pretty decent and recovery in case you wish to go back is easier. i have used both quite a bit and i used to think the tarballs were better, now i like the rpms more.

adding a --force to the rpm arguement will help a bit.
    [/quote]

First off -- never do a force. That will end up biting you in the ass sooner rather tha later.

Second, I have had problems with the RPMS, but the best bet is to build an RPM from the source tarball. Cuz as KK stated -- sometimes the RPMS that nVIDIA ships out aren't always the best.

And I repeat comment one.

And again.

And again.

I am not trying to be a dick. The Redhat list is full of people who are getting told to use force, and it fucks up the whole system. Unfortunately, the pople usually getting the help are people who just bought their first linux, RH8 and need help.

If you cant use rpm -Uvh blah.rpm, try rpm -ivh blah.rpm. That usually will work.

Good Guru

[quote author=Pantheus link=board=1;threadid=6231;start=0#59046 date=1044076529]

Code:
    Fatal Server Error:
         No screens found
    XIO fatal IO error 104
    [/quote]

Did you modify the XF86Config file as KK mentioned? It is an error is that file. If you did do the 3 basic modifications, just recheck any mispellings or other typos. That is probably where the error is then. If you are dual booting, either print off this thread, or nVIDIA's FAQ on how to install the driver modules. And have that handy. I have an older (2 years old at least) printout of the nVIDIA Linux handbook. I reference it anytime I have the slightest problem. It is really a lifesaver.