Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Linux Site?

Re:A New Linux Site?

Here is my thought even though I doubtt it will at all matter. How about a site full of parodies you know making light of things pertaining to linux and GNU and stuff and ah yeah ???. Anyhow I dont think the linux community would benifit from yet another "Teach yourself how to install RedHat 8.0 in 24 hours" site. Try something different something new it may sound scary at first to be different but trust me the chicks dig it. CAN YOU DIG IT!

[quote author=socomm link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58943 date=1043978644]
    How about a site full of parodies you know making light of things pertaining to linux and GNU and stuff and ah yeah ???
    [/quote]

http://www.linuxsucks.com/ beat us to that by a few years :-P.

I agree with the documentation idea Here's another idea: if you're willing to devote a little time to this site, why not have an FAQ section that addresses things not typically found in tutorials? For example, it's dead simple to get a tutorial on how to get a cd burner working in linux. TLDP does that fine, as well as kernel recompiles, iptables, and zip drives. The other day, I got an email from my friend who's just learning linux. She asked two questions: "what is the linux equivalent of the windows registry?" and "what is the linux equivalent of the Win32 API?" A section with answers to questions like these would be most helpful indeed. Of course, another solution to the issue of those questions would be a forum, which would basically be another LJR.

Another idea would be a msg board aimed at a more intermediate to advanced level. http://www.linuxlaboratory.org/ tried this a while back, and took off for a month or so before problems caused the site to reset. After that it never really flew. Maybe you guys could pull it off.

Advisor

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58946 date=1043981820]
    why not have an FAQ section that addresses things not typically found in tutorials?
    [/quote]

I agree, that's a great idea! As for the forum though, I kinda wanna stay away from a typical forum, LJR does it's job GREAT so we don't need another one of the same thing.

Good Guru

The only forum I would support is the newsforge style forum. Ya got a story (FAQ/PET/Howto....) and some chatter going on. Just have a rule stating that any chatter must be relevent.

I was reading the Gnome developers mailing list the other day and I came across a feature list to be implemented in 2.4. A thought struck me. What about a feature-request website? You could perhaps have sections for the linux kernel itself, KDE, Gnome, WMs, and major software suites like OOo and Moz. Developers looking for features to implement could consult your site for the most commonly requested features, and perhaps you could poll visitors with a "most-wanted-feature" poll and send the results to the appropriate devel mailing lists. Also have the option for discussion on exactly what needs to be implemented, why it's needed, etc. I guarantee it'd be the start of MANY software projects. It would definitely be nice to have a unified feature-request site. The way it stands, it's bugzilla in some cases, a feature-request board on others, emailing the development lists in other cases, and sometimes there's no option to request features. A lot of people don't know where to go to request what they'd like. You could be to software development what themes.org was to the desktop.

Just a thought.

We have a bugzilla for the kernel d00d, sorry to break it to ya.

KDE has bugzilla to, I dunno know about Gnome ([me=Lovechild]is a GNOME hater)[/me]

Bugzilla allows you to file "Wishlist" reports, and normally bugzilla works as a very integrated part of a development team.

There's no real need to make a site that offers the same stuff as all the seperate bugzillas do..

Good Guru

But LC -- Tyr just proved the fact that most people (except a few geek nonprogrammers and programmers that deal with bigzilla) have zero clue about how to properly request features. In cases like this, should the site inlclude features like that, I would say point it to the authors' sanctioned methods. But, ALOT of poeple have zero idea of where to go to request features.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#59367 date=1044472900]
    But LC -- Tyr just proved the fact that most people (except a few geek nonprogrammers and programmers that deal with bigzilla) have zero clue about how to properly request features. In cases like this, should the site inlclude features like that, I would say point it to the authors' sanctioned methods. But, ALOT of poeple have zero idea of where to go to request features.
    [/quote]

There are perfectly good guides to using bugzilla for feature requests on many of the sites that uses it... it takes 3 mins of effort, hell in KDE we even have a shortcut to bugzilla in the file menu someplace (I can't really remember where, I don't use that feature all that much)

Making "yet another copy of some projects bugzilla" is counterproductive for the developers, if you are not smart enough to voice your opinion using bugzilla, then send a mail to your favorite distro' mailinglist, or post in a forum asking for directions to filing the feature request.

I'm thinking about the burden for the developers, I don't give a rats a$$ about the users as such - if they REALLY want a feature, they can spare 3 mins to learn bugzilla or type a mail to the "distro of choice"' mailinglist/support hotline (which should be just as effective).

Yes it would be nice if we could just centralize the whole thing, but guess what - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, it's simply not realistic.

Gnome uses bugzilla as well.