Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

A New Linux Site? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Linux Site?

Re:A New Linux Site?

While I am not a Guru (Yet) I don't consider myself a newbie anymore either... The How-To's, PETS and everything else is normally written way above even my level.

I believe pets/how-to's should provide the guts of the topic. I understand that folks want to add a bunch of history but lets face it... Most users are starting out and we are trying to convince them to move away from the M$ they so love.

History lessons can be provided in another doc or at least at the end of the help file.

Basically I agree with the previous two posts but it is early and after a 12 hour work day and possibly one today I am beat.

Ras

Just throwing an idea out there... If there is a basic tutorial that holds infomation that is essential for later parts/docs I would make that a mandatory requirement for new newbie users to the site.

There is a fundamental flaw in this though. It would require a sign up for users to use the stuff. But something on that could be added to the sign up process could be an expertise choice, and that would make it so that only newbies are required to take/read the basic tutorial/doc.

Just a thought

Good Guru

[quote author=PK link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58814 date=1043802007]
    Maybe we could team up or something

[/quote]

Do I smell a new team brewing?

Anyway, the more help I get with my idea the better off we all are. I am doing it to help push SUSE and RedHat on the desktop that much sooner. They are both just that close to start getting major vendors to use the product. Between WineX, GNOME 2.2, and KDE3.1 all the last steps needed really ...

What we need now is the free guid to using anything and everything ;D

LDP is good, but not hospitable for idiot users.

Good Guru

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58828 date=1043809878]
    One idea that could be used if it will be a type of documentation site, is try to write the doc info more newbie user friendly.

Alot of linux doc is still kinda hard for newbies to really grasp. The docs need more real life examples and such.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

Well, thats why I say have the forums with each document. That way comments can be directed more easily, and be compared to what has already been said. With a normal BBS, it gets spread all over. People bitching abnout something in 2004, have no clue with out going WAYYY out of their way, what the hell was sid in 2003 ...

I like Izan's Idea about the logins. What I had in mind for the logins is to have a favorites section to keep help docs that you are interested in tabbed. Kinda like transgaming's site. When you log in to the games index, it shows any forums that have activity and how many new posts.

Does the world really need yet another Linux site?

if it does, I would put stuff like my experinces with Linux up there - my ideas on how to improve the usage experience and encourage debate to futher development.

I migth also put something up there about my opinion now why sticking to standards is important instead of the microsoft embrace'n'extend type development.

Generally make it a forum for my madness.

An alternative idea which was suggested to me by a good friend of mine, a geek dating service...

Advisor

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58873 date=1043869053]
    Does the world really need yet another Linux site?
    [/quote]

I don't think that we need any more Linux forums, there are great ones already in place, what is needed is a central place for good tutorials and documentation on setting up, using, upgrading etc.

Advisor

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58869 date=1043867774]
    [quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58828 date=1043809878]
    One idea that could be used if it will be a type of documentation site, is try to write the doc info more newbie user friendly.

Alot of linux doc is still kinda hard for newbies to really grasp. The docs need more real life examples and such.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

Well, thats why I say have the forums with each document. That way comments can be directed more easily, and be compared to what has already been said. With a normal BBS, it gets spread all over. People bitching abnout something in 2004, have no clue with out going WAYYY out of their way, what the hell was sid in 2003 ...

I like Izan's Idea about the logins. What I had in mind for the logins is to have a favorites section to keep help docs that you are interested in tabbed. Kinda like transgaming's site. When you log in to the games index, it shows any forums that have activity and how many new posts.
    [/quote]

I think you're on to something with that, tutorials / docs with the ability to comment and ask questions for each one. Now to figure out how to set it up.

hehe makes me wonder about why i have my site :P

edit: i dont think it matters if your site has more news and stuff like that, or "its just another linux site", i mean i dont care if mines just another linux drone site,etc, i just want to help people out, im not much of a guru, and im no newbie, but it doesnt even have to be me helping, it just has to help people out and if it does that im perfectly happy with whatever the site has become.

The reason I don't want to make another drone site is mainly because there are allready so many of them ... they do help people and they come in handy but making another one at this point is a bit pointless IMO. BTW, your site looks nice BurntAsh :-).

thanks it is still gonna take alotta work though, but like i said, i hope it really becomes something that helps people, because thats something ive always wanted to do[help people].

edit: maybe if i brush up on my perl skillz i can write something like a nice little tutorial section that allows commenting and stuff. ;D