Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Linux Site?

Hybrid View

A New Linux Site?

I've had gnulinux.net for about a year now and have decided to actually do something with it. The problem is, what should I do? There are plenty of Linux news sites, do we need another one? What could I do that would help the community and keep regular visitors without becoming yet another drone site or selling out?

Good Guru

Re:A New Linux Site?

Well, one idea I have had for a while now is a redo of what we know of as the LDP. It just doesnt feel warm and welcome to me or anyone else I have spoken with.

You could have a more interactive help site with howtos and such. Take PETs to a new level, and allow comments and such. Everyone I have sent, out of my circle of friends, had hoped for a bit more out of the LDP. Perhaps if you want we could team up on that.

BTW, on that topic :: anyone have the latest docs for postgresql ? Their site has been in reconstruction phase for some time now, and would like to do a pet on that, and complete my generic SQL pet.

Not a bad idea. How do you think we could achive this? How could we make it a warmer environment? The only idea I have would be to incorporate other sites as part of a 'network' for special topics. IE: host documents and what not in easy to find and easy to read layout and for questions/help/etc ... they would have wuick access to forums (like LJR for newbie questions, or BSDVault for BSD questions, etc ...).

Good Guru

well the one thing that seemed to please my friends was tp have a PET type thing, but also a message forum, ala Linux.com news articles. This way people can converse about the instructions, and the creator can more interactively discuss his methodolgy.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58801 date=1043791916]
    well the one thing that seemed to please my friends was to have a PET type thing, but also a message forum, ala Linux.com news articles. This way people can converse about the instructions, and the creator can more interactively discuss his methodolgy.
    [/quote]

Ah I see. So for each type of documentation we have a forum. At the same point I don't want to copy LJR :P.

Advisor

well, I've been working on a site with tutorials and such, but unfortunately it's not quite ready for primtime yet, some of the PHP scripts still need a bit of tweaking. Overall it works though. Maybe we could team up or something, I have a site (mostly ) and you have a domian. (I also have a server or 2 i could use). If you're interested PM me.

PK What kind of contenet manager are you building (or using)?

Advisor

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58817 date=1043803501]
    PK What kind of contenet manager are you building (or using)?
    [/quote]

I'm using / building one in PHP with a MySQL backend, it currently supports a user system and the ability to submit tutorials. The tutorials are arranged by categories, and admin's can create / modify categories. I'll IM you the current address.

One idea that could be used if it will be a type of documentation site, is try to write the doc info more newbie user friendly.

Alot of linux doc is still kinda hard for newbies to really grasp. The docs need more real life examples and such.

Just a thought.

Advisor

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=13;threadid=6212;start=0#58828 date=1043809878]
    One idea that could be used if it will be a type of documentation site, is try to write the doc info more newbie user friendly.

Alot of linux doc is still kinda hard for newbies to really grasp. The docs need more real life examples and such.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

I agree, we need something that anyone will be able to follow.