Thread: Group privs on /var/www/html

Hybrid View

Group privs on /var/www/html

I was wondering if you guys think I can change the group ownership of /var/www/html with out ruining things. Oh and how do I go about creating a new group for this web work and how do I add my user to that group. Also would I need to add root to the group so that it can get in there too?... The story behind my question is this:

I do a bunch of web work on my own system and I'm doing it from the root web directory. The only way I can work on the stuff is to su to it. And I want to be able to work on it with my regular user account. So I figured that creating a new group, adding my user to that group and then changing the group permission on that directory.

TIA,
    Ryan

P.S.
    I'm running RH8.0

Good Guru

Re:Group privs on /var/www/html

That could work. But I would reccomend using sudo to be safe. IIRC you had alot of issues getting RH to work on your box (from here and over on the RH list). I dont want to reccomend that unless I know it will work. But I use sudo for EVERYTHING, and have zero issues.

Sudo is like su, excpet it is for individual commands. Like ::

sudo rpm -Uvh *rpm

That will allow a normal user to upgrade all of the RPMs in the current directory, presuming that the user in in the sudoers file. at the cli, as root, type /usr/sbin/visudo and edit the file accordingly. It is well commented and towards the bottom you can see where it allows individual users and the group permissions (allow only johndoe out of group dudes as oppesed to all of group dudes to run sudo). I just gave my account full access. Noone else.

So after saying that, take for example you need to edit a nonpermitted file. You like ... kwrite as your editor, you can make a launcher that has the command (with run in terminal box checked, so you can type the password) sudo kwrite or if you prefer to do su, kdesu kwrite (which will ask for root instead of your user accounts password).

After thinking (I dont know if this is a security wise safe thing) you COULD add yourself into the root group. And then change perms for the group users on the dir. Its a thought ...

Sorry its taken me so long to reply but I've been kinda struggling with how I want to do this. I think the install issues your referring to were ones that I made while I was trying to get acquainted with RH8.0 and Linux in general. Since, I have done a fresh install and things, the important ones anyway, are doing great!! I just have a few new issues to try and over come and for now they are REALLY minor.

But would you still recommend sudo for a home computer just being used as a small server with just one user, other than root? For some reason the group thing just makes more sense to me.

Good Guru

I use sudo, and I have really just myself using the box. I created an account for a friend to ftp me files, but other that that its just me. I **LOVE* sudo and it may be from forced habit whilst working on servers .... I dunno. But either way, I reccomend that. Perhaps I can setup a box and try the group thingie.