Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gnome 2.2 Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 2.2 Released

Gnome 2.2 Released

The GNOME 2.2.0 Desktop and Platform release is the latest version of the popular, multi-platform free desktop environment.

GNOME provides a user-friendly environment that "just works" for everyday users, without excess complexity, while at the same time providing the rich flexibility experienced developers demand. We have tried to avoid unnecessary complications or obscure features, sticking instead to a clear, unified vision.
    Today, we bring you the fruits of our first six-month-turnaround release! Not content with mere success, we've managed to squeeze the six month process into five, raise the bar for performance and stability and add a host of new features and tools to the Desktop. Perhaps this is a dangerous precedent!
    Check out the new features http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/notes/rnwhatsnew.html

Re:Gnome 2.2 Released

On a side note, GCC 3.2.2 was also released into the wild today. While I couldn't care less about GNOME, a GCC release really reves me up...

Lots of nice bugfixes in there, now all we need is a release of glibc 2.3.2, which should provide a nice stable base for a distro.

I think this is great news. Hopefully RH 8.1 will come with Gnome2.2. I've really liked Gnome since 1.4 and really think allot of 2.0. By the time Gnome 3.0 comes out I think we'll ALL be really impressed.

I too love Gnome. KDE is really hot, but I've always loved Gnome, ever since my first linux experience. With the rate they're developing Gnome2, Gnome'll be back on its feet in no time. And virtually EVERY step Gnome has taken since the 2.0 release has been a step in the right direction (there wasn't much to explore in the wrong direction, you see...the feature-drop hurt).

So anyone tried it? Reviews please!

And when the hell is RH gonna get this thing released?

I'd love to see RH release Gnome 2.2 for RH 8.0 but I doubt it'll happen. It might since they're a very Gnome-Centric distribution but I'll be surprised if they do.

The good news is that Phoebe (RH 8.1) will have Gnome 2.2 and a host of other improvements. I just hope Mozilla hurries up and get the GTK2 port out the door. It would be nice to see a GTK2 version of Mozilla and Galeon (the Ultimate Web Browser IMO) in 8.1.

The bad news is that Phoebe won't hit final until April. Maybe they'll have the menu editing fixed by then though.. <fingers crossed>

Advisor

Hmm, I was thinking i was going to give Gnome a shot at 2.2, but now looking at the screenshots, I think i'll pass. KDE is just so much prettier!

Know what FINALLY won me over and persuaded me to switch camps (temporarily at least...I hop back and forth like the waffler I am)? I'm being dead serious here. It's the drag-box on the desktop. Click-and-drag in KDE 3.0 (not sure about 3.1...have yet to try it). What do you get? An outline of a box. Click and drag in Gnome2. What do you get? A box with highlighted edges, alpha-blended transparent interior, and anti-aliased transition between the two. For those of you who don't know what I"m talking about, think drag-box in Win98 vs WinXP.

Is this THE most trivial part of the entire desktop? Why yes it is. But I've found all of Gnome2 to be like this. All smooth edges, all anti-aliased, emphasis on font-handling because that's what makes a desktop look pretty. I dunno. KDE is gorgeous, but it's almost too shiny (for right now...as I said, I WILL be returning).

It's a Lambourghini vs a Benz. Yes the Lambourghini is hot and sexy and pretty to look at, but the Benz is sexy in its simplicity. Both great cars, but in very different ways.

Advisor

I think you summed it up pretty well there Tyr_7BE, they're both good in their own way, and that's the real beauty of linux (or one of them at least), choice, lots and lots and lots of choice. You don't like the look of your desktop, then try one of the other 20 WM's out there. They're all good in their own way.

i just switch from Flux to KDE3, and now Im headed to Gnome again, it just looks a lot cleaner. Since I use Evolution and Red Carpet anyway, it just makes sense....to me anyway

I was a KDE fan for a long long time but I really like GNOME2. (GNOME 1.x was horrible). Can't wait to try it out.

And yeah, GCC-3.2.2 is out, gotta try that too Just in time for me compiling GNU/Segfault Linux 3.0.

Lovechild: Any idea how close GNU are to a glibc-2.3.2 release?