Thread: Running out of gas with fuel injection car...

Running out of gas with fuel injection car...

My bro ran out of gas with his fuel injection volvo. Now he has gas in it but wont start. I heard something about having to do something special if this happens. Can someone help me into the right dirrection?

Re:Running out of gas with fuel injection car...

This is a wild guess but some vehicals have to have gas brought through their filter. I know in our truck if the filter gets by passed (IE: needs to be replaced) or we run out of gas we have to prime the fuel through it.

Again, it's a wild guess.

Mentor

You need to get fuel in the fuel lines. If you just turn it over and over it will start eventually but could take a while, and will most probably flatten the battery.

normally you can give it 10 minutes and itLL start again

Well we had it towed and its here now. It has been like 4 hours since that happened. I will give it a try. If not what do I need to do step by step to get it working again. Thanks for the info...

This kinda depends on how old the car is. Early (late '80's, early '90's) electronic monitored F.I. systems wouldn't re-prime if they ran out of gas; that means the pump can't pick up fuel and prime itself to maintain fuel flow. I really hope this isn't the case; it requires removing the fuel pump (located in the gas tank) and re-priming it by hand- it's a SEVERE pain in the ass. The only good thing is the owner will NEVER run out of gas again!!

It's a 1993 Volvo 850 GL were gonna give it a try right now. Hope it works or else its gonna cost a whole shit load to get it primed. I think.

Running out of gas is quite bad. Not only is it hard to crank back up, but when the engine is running lean before all the fumes are sucked out, it gets really hot and predetonates. A friend and I recognized both of these symptoms as he was pulling up to a gas station. You could actually see the temperature needle going up. It wasn't until after we got gas that I finally realized what was going on. But that's worst in carbureted cars. Fuel injected cars run out more suddenly. Nevertheless, no one should run out of gas.

there is a little valve up by the injector rail. it looks like a tire valve stem. and it may even have a valve stem cover on it. take the cover off and push the valve in while cranking the engine. when gas spurts out STOP pushing the valve, the engine will start in a second or two.

-mike