Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DirectTV DSL is quiting...

DirectTV DSL is quiting...

so i am gonna have to switch.
    any recomendations for DSL service? i prefer DSL over cable for the reason they don't give cable internet access here (practical reason hey!). anywho - i have heard nothing but bad things about SBC-Ameritech, a local outfit was never by there phone when i call so covad is looking like the best bet by far. any opinions?

Re:DirectTV DSL is quiting...

I have only experienced SBC and I think they suck. Every so often it goes down. Its been working good the las 4 months but before that it would go down it seem just about every weekend. But maybe since they joined yahoo and have had people sign up left and right they have improved their service...

Good Guru

Hmm, Try cable if possible. DSL by nature is a pain in the ass. T1/T3 is much simpler technology, but the perks of going that route are the priorities when a failure does occur. Most residences dont need that type of tech support, thus making the cost a waste. But cable is cheap in comparison, and yields an in between from DSL and T1/T3. Its faster than DSL, but a slower uploads than T's. Its got a faster/better resolution time for problems, but doesnt even touch that of a T. The only drawback is that cable gets slow during peak usage times due to the sharing of a large pipe going to the neighborhood.

Try cable. Around here, Time Warner has been doing specials where you get RoadRunner for half price for the first 6 months (I think there is a year contract, I could be wrong). DSL sucks major hamster titty around here, alot of the time, even if you live across the street from a CO. ITs REALLY sad.

well - i opted for covad - they are the only ones who said - yes - we support linux. i still don't think we have cable access.

Good Guru

Wow! They acknowledge linux !! Gotta go for em!

I am suprised though that you cant get cable yet. IIRC, Chicago was one of the test markets for cable technology. You claimed to be near Chicago ... oh well.

im in chicago and have cable, attbi, nice stuff.

pbharris where do you live?

i am in the nw burbs - my nieghbor who works for AT&T cable says we don't have it yet (well he did about a year ago...)

Good Guru

Wow. Odd. I would call and find out for sure.

I can't get cable.

I can't get DSL (erm, idsl I guess I could get..)

I can get satelite!

I can't bring myself to get satelite..

well my dsl is out. hopefully it will be up soon, but i won't be very active until i get it back up again.