Thread: Cox HSI and Apache, Mud Hostings

Cox HSI and Apache, Mud Hostings

Hey all, 31 Jan I finally slip out of the AOHell and into CHSI. Okay so my windows box will be configured first (yuck) but then I fire up the router and my linux box. Here are some generic questions.

CHSI Acceptable Use Policy says basically "A server of any sort is not acceptable"

Having read that, my webserver gets about 45 hits a month. (not advertised). I know CHSI blocks port 80 and that apache can be rerouted to 8080 that is not a problem.

The biggest problem is on the two muds I host, are online games such as muds considered servers by definition?

Since CHSI only has dynamic IP's at least in my area with a router (on full time) what are the chances my IP will change and if you think it will, should I sign up with dyndns.org?

Thanks
    Ras

Good Guru

Re:Cox HSI and Apache, Mud Hostings

[quote author=Rastar link=board=4;threadid=6186;start=0#58583 date=1043417880]
    CHSI Acceptable Use Policy says basically "A server of any sort is not acceptable"

Having read that, my webserver gets about 45 hits a month. (not advertised). I know CHSI blocks port 80 and that apache can be rerouted to 8080 that is not a problem.

The biggest problem is on the two muds I host, are online games such as muds considered servers by definition?

Since CHSI only has dynamic IP's at least in my area with a router (on full time) what are the chances my IP will change and if you think it will, should I sign up with dyndns.org?

Thanks
    Ras
    [/quote]

Most non-comemrcial plans do try to prevent this. Some provision your account so the ports are blocked, others sniff the data and see what the headers have, sensing the difference between a game programmed for port 80 and an Web server.

Workaround :: think "to hell with them" and use port 10000 or something and have dyndns do the dirty work. they have a few linux clients out there that run as daemons.