Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Erratic behaviour

Thread: Erratic behaviour

Mentor

Erratic behaviour

I'm running windows 98, and just yesterday it started to display very very very erratic behaviour. The Start menu will randomly pop up, also certain keys seem to cause different actions to take place. When I push R the run dialog pops up, E makes my computer open, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes it will work fine for ages, then all of a sudden the start menu will open and close for ages, unstoppable even. When selecting items on the desktop you have to click them again to deselect them, if you select something else then the other item stays selected as well. I had a feeling it could be a virus so I downloaded AVG and it was totally up to date and no viruses were found, then someone told me it could be the Klez virus, so I downloaded the removal tool for that and it wasn't found. The only other thing I could think it could be is the keyboard, but as it isn't consistent, and happened the day that a file was downloaded off the net I am leaning towards the virus idea. Anyone got any suggestions at all, all I'm left with is formatting all the HD's and reinstalling windows.
    Cheers
    CP

Re:Erratic behaviour

I dont remember the url, but there is a website where you can submit possible virii information.
    Other than that I would lean to a broken wire in your keyboard. The next time that this happens, try slowly moving your cord back and forth and work your from one end to the other. This should tell you whether you have a short in your keyboard.

10Ded

All of that seems to be that the Windows key is stuck, or the keyboard is bad. Windows+E is the shortcut for WindowsExplorer. Windows only will open the Start menu, and Windows+R is the shortcut for the Run screen.

This is usually a good indication to run an OS that doesn't use the Win key. :P

Good Guru

sometimes you can blame the BIOS for not allowing the OS to take control of the keyboard input buffer. Like my spare box.

Mentor

Yeah it was the keyboard. Got me a new one and it fixed it. What really pisses me off though, is that the old keyboard is a Digital and I can't pull it to pieces for some strange reason. I took all the screws out of it, and then it just wouldn't come apart.
    Cheers for the help
    CP