Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slackware Question

Thread: Slackware Question

Slackware Question

I am a Slackware fanatic at heart. But something really bothers me, specially when the slackware site went offline (just recently) by DDOS attacks. And i think in 99 or 2000 (i just can't recall) their site were hacked also. I haven't encountered any news regarding Redhat or Mandrake that their site have been hacked (pls, inform me if i'm wrong). Does that mean that Redhat and Mandrake are more secure than Slackware? I wish Patrick (Volkerding) is here (or anyone active on the slackware development) to enlighten me

Advisor

Re:Slackware Question

From what I hear slackware is more secure out of the box than both RedHat and Mandrake, but I have no real information on this. Although, I'm guessing that the boxes powering the Slackware / RedHat / Mandrake sites are not out of the box installs. I don't think that the ammount the sites are attacked reflects the security of the distro very well. But someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

If I remember, Patrick said that someone had forgotten to apply a security patch to the server running the Slackware site and that's why it was hacked before.

Once I started using Slackware I fell in love with it and never went back. Its the fastest most stable OS I've used. Not tons of bells and whistles, but that isn't what its about. Simple elegance. It works. And I've never had any security problems with either.

DDoS isnt related to security of the server. its basicly a bunch of computers around the world told to send as much data as they can to one computer.

and distro can be just as secure or insecure. security isnt a feature its a service. you gotta be the one to keep it secure.