Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Distro

New Distro

Here's a fairly new distro from a company in New Zealand, called YOS, http://www.yoper.com/YOS.txt, Your Operating System. The link is to their press release.

It looks kinda kool to try, even though it's a Release Candidate. It should be able to use different package management programs, like .deb, .rpm, & .tgz. It also supports apt-get and based on LFS!

I have an ISO and will be giving it a try soon.

Mentor

Re:New Distro

That looks like something I'm gonna have to try. Its good to see a company like this in little old NZ where I live. It gives me hope that I'll have a chance of a job where I use linux each day rather than windows
    <edit>Just realised its a 600MB download, times like this I wish I had broadband</edit>

Kind Mastermind

For an initial public release, it sure is at an advanced number (3.2.1). Sounds interesting. It's nice to see that there is another distro out there, especially from down under. It makes it easier to have software that is developed close to home.

Cheers

Advisor

I also noticed this one the other day on distrowatch.com and was tempted to try it. I think i'll download it on a box at school (T1) and burn myself a copy Once I get it i'll be sure to let you guys know what i think.

Well I finally got it installed, but I can't get it to boot from the HD. I have to boot using Slack's boot disk, which isn't what I wanted.

When I try to boot from HD, I get a Kernel Panic error, so I'm go mess around and see whats going on!

Mentor

What file system are you using? If you're using ext3 or reiserfs its possible that they didn't compile support for it in the kernel. Just recompile the kernel yourself and then you should be fine.

I checked the filesystem and it's ext2 only, but on their forum site, they mention adding ext3 and reiser to the next version!

Mentor

It is obviously just a kernel thing. Whats the installer etc like? Graphical or CLI. What software? I want a full review :P You can be my guinea pig

;D @ GP....well I'm at work now but the installer is graphical and it comes wit KDE 3.x something. Its pretty much a simple distro now with some good software included.

Have you checked out their website?

Mentor

Yeah I checked the website, but being on dial up. I only had a brief read of it you know. I'm getting high speed in feb probably so will be downloading the iso then, and hopefully it will be a final release