Thread: Boredom

Boredom

Alright... I don't know if this is the correct forum, but it's "Off Topic" so this should be safe. I figure since I am new I'll tell the interested ones a little bit about myself. (Saw this in another forum, thought it was a good idea)

Okay, my name is Tim and I am a college student (major in Computer Information Systems) in NJ. I work at an insurance agency doing server side applications in PHP using MSSQL (ick) /MySQL (yay) and supporting the 35 some Windows 98/XP users there.

I started using Linux when Red Hat 6 was new (I was on 5.2) but I didn't use it everyday or anything since most of the stuff I did was in Windows. For the last past 7 months or so it has been full time RH (7.x - 8.0) and I have sucked up an enormous amount of information (not really, but well pretend). I am a fairly accomplished user bent on converting Windows users to Linux users and will stop at nothing... wait wrong speech.

Right now I have about 8 months left until I get my associates degree and I am also going to have several other pieces of paper such as the A+ (pretty much ready), Network+ (at least half way there), LPI certs (half way), CCNA (half way) and some other stuff (hopefully the new MySQL cert when it's out)

I guess that's enough for now, any questions are welcome.

Below you can see my unofficial resume in all its glory which contains a list of all my programming/computer skills.

http://www.rapturepress.com/RPTim/Tim/resume.htm

Re:Boredom

Linux/UnixIntermediateNever1 years

How can you be skilled in something when you say you never used it..

Might want to correct that one man..

I hope you have better luck with your Associate's than I did. The computer market is flooded with potential employees right now. I couldn't find any Unix jobs requiring less than a Bachelor's degree. (And yes, I did apply to them just in case they could bend a little. They didn't.) That's why I switched to chemistry.

1. I can say I am intermediate because I know a lot about Linux, but I have never used it in a working enviroment until now, so you're right I should add that I have some experience. However, even prior to this I still knew a lot about Linux / Unix in general from the reading I did. (I've 95% replaced all the Windows related tasks (QuickTime / Windows Media is still an issue) I used to perform and I know how to navigate a system fairly well and I am an fairly experienced C programmer (hobby for years))

2. I know the computer field is flooded, but also, there are three components to this:

1. Are you REALLY qualified?
    2. Where do you live?
    3. Do you stand out?

I am by no means saying I am ready to be any kind of Unix Admin, or saying that you are bad, I am just saying a lot of people go to school, come out knowing nothing and getting good jobs. Don't ask me how that happens... I know so much more about programming than the professors at my school and a some ask me questions... and the few times I actually asked for help they said Uh... try asking Art (Unix sys admin) but I eventually found the answer myself.

Accoding to a popular service 1000s of IT jobs went unfilled because of unqualified workers. Where I live I see (at least on monster.com) plenty of tech jobs (at least 250) all of which are unfilled because no one has the skills to fill them....

The other thing is do you stand out... Why should an employer pick you over someone else? Do you have a degree, certifications and experience (work/volunteer based) to back it up? Can you use Lex and Yacc better than the people who created it? Are you an experienced kernel hacker. Have something to show them. My "resume" doesn't show that I have what it takes yet either because I am just saying the skills I have aquired. I can't back anything up unless they actually test me... however this will change soon. (Before I graduate (8 months or so) I should have at least 4 certifications including (but not limited to) A+, Network+, LPI Level 1 (at least... probably Level 2 also) and CCNA. I will also then have my associates degree.

Just food for thought.... oh yeah I am going to get my bachelors degree also... I also know some people in the field for direction if need be (sysadmin at university, network admin for school district etc)

[quote author=trieder link=board=14;threadid=6175;start=0#58594 date=1043426274]
    1. Are you REALLY qualified?
    [/quote]

That's the thing. One of their qualifications is a bachelor's degree, so no I am not. I do have almost 3 years *nix experience at home, and 8 months running a server at my old college, but apparently that's not good enough even for a junior administrator job. If you ask me, employers are dumb for looking at education before experience or even joy of doing it.

2. Where do you live?
    Don't ask... I was willing to relocate though, and most of the jobs I applied for were in Dallas and Houston.

3. Do you stand out?
    I think I do in reality, but I haven't figured out how to convey it on paper. I mean if they'd even give me the interview or a test, I'm sure I could handle their expectations. I applied for about 30 jobs, and not one replied positively. I can't really prove that I know what I know on paper. I can only write general things I've had experience with.

I'm not asking for tips on getting a computer job. I've given up on that field, except maybe for a part time job while going to college or running my own business. I'm just stating how my experience went, and encouraging you to get more education. There's a huge difference between an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree. Don't expect to rely on skills alone. (God forbid an employer hire you based primarily on your skills.)

Right now I have about 8 months left until I get my associates degree and I am also going to have several other pieces of paper such as the A+ (pretty much ready)
    Take it. It's very very easy. You can do it!

Network+ (at least half way there)
    Be careful on that one. It's the only CompTIA test that requires an 80% passing score, not to mention probably the hardest one besides the Linux+.

LPI certs (half way)
    Whoa man! You ready for all three? That's some heavy stuff!

CCNA (half way)
    That's what I need to do next. Not exactly the easiest test in the world though. Could be worse though. Could be the CCIE. :P

Kenshi, I completely hear that... its very sad that you couldn't go with your love on computers for a job. Maybe things will turn around for you...

I do plan on continuing my education because I know you need it today... which kind of sucks.. Experience should be the rating factor in a decision like that even though education is important.

Tonight I just typed up my resume/cover letter and sent it off to someone... So hopefully I hear a response on that :-D