Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Turning off anonymous log ins

Thread: Turning off anonymous log ins

Turning off anonymous log ins

hey everyone,

I am doing quite well (I think) with my home network. But I did notice a while back in my root logwatch email that there was an anonymous user logging in. I have WebMin setup for administration but couldn't find a way to "disable" anonymous user log ins. If anyone knows how to turn this off period, be it through WebMin OR VI config file editing PLEASE let me know... I already don't allow root to log in to any of my available services, so this would be a little nice; especially seeing as how I don't even know what an anonymous user can u/l or d/l.

TIA,
    Ryan

PS I'm using RH8

Good Guru

Re:Turning off anonymous log ins

there shouldnt be an anonymous user. I cant find any reference to one(beyond FTP), and at first I thought you were talking about GDM's auto login for a user at boot. Could you post what you thought was an anonymous user logging into your system? I am interested in this one

I agree with Schotty on this one. The only anonymous user I know of is with ftp.

For ftp if you are using wu-ftpd then all you need to do is add this line to your /etc/ftpaccess file:

Code:
    defaultserver private

Sorry guys, I did mean an FTP anonymous user. Specifically proftpd. I keep getting anonymous user login messages sent to me from LogWatch in my root email inbox. I don't get alot but I would rather not get any. So if you guys know of how or where to turn off anonymous user login in proftpd, preferably using webmin... if not a way to edit the config file to turn it off is good too, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanx

Hi,

Check out this proftpd howto.

http://www.castaglia.org/proftpd/doc...onfigFile.html

The "Logging in" section has the info you want.

HTH,
    Stix

Advisor

in the /etc/proftpd.conf file, just remove (or comment out) the

<Anonymous>

section, eg:

<Anonymous ~ftp>
    setting 1
    setting 2
    </Anonymous>

kill that all or comment it out, then you should only be able to log in as regular users.