Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Video games for Open Source Operating Systems.

Thread: Video games for Open Source Operating Systems.

Hybrid View

Video games for Open Source Operating Systems.

If you had the chance to purchase a nicely wrapped and boxed version of Frozen Bubble, bzFlag, chromium, or any other of the open source games would you? As far as I am aware not many video/computer game companies have had much sucess with the open-source community.

Re:Video games for Open Source Operating Systems.

Well UT2003 isn't open source, but its probably the best game we have besides Frozen Bubble. Unfortunately, we'll never know how well it does because the boxed version includes both windows and linux versions. But I'll be buying my copy soon.

Good Guru

I cant find a linux update for UT2K3, and thus cant play online. I am several notches old. Epic is not being as nice as Loki was. Loki kept up at least....

edit :: I finally got a reply to an email I sent in about UT2k3. Thier main page is out of date, as is many mirrors. Not the fastest, the one I have found to at least work is

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/unrealtourn2/

I am (slowly) grabbbing all of the updates. There is ~15MB of updates.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Epic. They actually release regular updates of the Linux client for UT2k3 but they don't list them on their page anywhere. You've got to go looking for the updates.. It's a shame really - they've done such a good job with the game. Well, I wish the performance was a bit better in *nix but I think that's a bit out of their control..

Good Guru

I actually think they could have done alot better.

The OpenGL sucks compared to Direct3D. Again, proof that porting is a horrendous undertaking (hint hint Bioware) and ya need to start with common ground, not end with similar results (unless you are rich like MS and can afford 12 different teams).

On my Athlon 900/512MB/Geforce2/64MB I never top over 30FPS. The same game on windows will top 50FPS with minor improvements in graphics, a drop in CPU and using windows (Athlon850/640MB/Geforce364MB) That should not be. Really.

Carmack, being the knight of the elctron, has the ability to optimize the game per platform, and release the games nearly simultaneously. What does that say? Plus the true benefits of the Linux kernel shine thru. I want that out of UT2K3 and U2.