Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Pico

Back to Pico

I'm done with vi! I have tried and tried and I simply can not get my head around this freaking modal interface thing. I don't know why, but it just seems so counter intuitive and odd.

So, I'm going back to Pico for my CLI editor for config files and simple stuff (of course, I'll stick with Kate for my heavy editing in X).

And this is the last time I am going to try and deal with vi...

Re:Back to Pico

hehe. quitting so soon? I'm still trying to get the hang of VI too. So far it seems pretty good. I like the commands, and how quickly I can do things. I still hardly know a thing about it though. I just need to keep playing with it...

pico works for me, its idiot proof

Try nano. This is another pico clone but has some added features like syntax highlight and 1/8 the size of pico.

i did the same thing about 8 years ago. it took about 3 months past that before i was using vi constantly.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=6154;start=0#58434 date=1043255531]
    i did the same thing about 8 years ago. it took about 3 months past that before i was using vi constantly.
    [/quote]

I am only talking about a basic editor for use at the CLI to tweak config files and scripts- about 2% of my work. I use Kate for HTML and the newly discovered Ted editor for RTF documents; both are much more suitable for my use than any Old School *nix editor.

Yep, Vi pretty much sucks...I know some live by it, but I can't seem to get the hang of it either.

I like Pico and Nano...as mention, they're pretty much idiot proof.

Good Guru

I love vim, and need a book on Emacs so I can learn the OS within the OS ;D

What really helped me learn vi was having a refernce guide printed out. Once you can quickly "see" your command that you need to type, it greatly improves your morale towards the app

But then again, unless necessary (like I am ssh'ed into the box, or broke X) I will use gedit or OO.org. Whatever is really more relevant to the task.

Thanks for the tip on nano.
    Once I've learned enough shell scripting to be _really_ dangerous, maybe I'll spend time learning vi.

Cheers!

[quote author=cga link=board=2;threadid=6154;start=0#58438 date=1043261627]
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=2;threadid=6154;start=0#58434 date=1043255531]
    [/quote]

I am only talking about a basic editor for use at the CLI to tweak config files and scripts- about 2% of my work. I use Kate for HTML and the newly discovered Ted editor for RTF documents; both are much more suitable for my use than any Old School *nix editor.

[/quote]

i guess i should say that i had a while when i i had a choice between vi and emacs - the choice was clear.