Thread: homework bitching time

homework bitching time

I just finished my physics homework (its 10:53pm; just over 1 hour from due date). I worked nearly every free waking moment since last Monday on this homework.

I got every question correct, but I only got a 71%! Yeah, that's right. I work the entire ******* week to get all the answers and I get a 71%!

Why, you ask? Because the homework service (hw.utexas.edu. Perhaps you're familiar) uses the SAT's anti-guessing scoring system. What that means is that if you get a question wrong, you don't just not get the points for that question, you get negative points!

So, one question I got right eventually I got -4 points instead of +5 points. I lost overall 9 points on one question that I GOT RIGHT!!!! Ordinarily, I just leave a question after one or two tries when it becomes pointless to answer the question right, but this question was the crux of the rest of the homework. I couldn't answer the other questions with out answering the question right (don't you hate questions like that).

Now I have my three other classes' homework to do. And I just got a new homework for physics.

At my school, we have to take three terms of physics. I took the first two terms at another school with two different teachers over a year ago. We were using the same textbook, but we finished several chapters (approx 9 chapters) behind where we are starting this term. That means I'm about 9 chapters behind everyone else and a year rusty (I don't use most of this crap. I mean, who cares what the velocity of a cylinder that rolls off a frictionless incline with out slipping is when it leaves the incline? I donít, thatís who!).

Thankfully, most of the chapters I missed are about electrical circuit theory (ohm's laws, kirchoff's laws, etc) and I'm pretty good with that in practice. But that's still a lot of catching up to do.

Ok, I'm done now. I can't believe you actually read all that. Well, thanks for listening.

Kind Mastermind

Re:homework bitching time

Ok, I'm done now. I can't believe you actually read all that. Well, thanks for listening.
    No problem, glad to be of assistance!

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

[quote author=t048 link=board=14;threadid=6144;start=0#58378 date=1043132776]
    [/quote]

That's one of the reasons why we're here.

Good Guru

[quote author=t048 link=board=14;threadid=6144;start=0#58378 date=1043132776]
    So, one question I got right eventually I got -4 points instead of +5 points. I lost overall 9 points on one question that I GOT RIGHT!!!! Ordinarily, I just leave a question after one or two tries when it becomes pointless to answer the question right, but this question was the crux of the rest of the homework. I couldn't answer the other questions with out answering the question right (don't you hate questions like that).
    [/quote]

How the fuck does that work? Forgive me -- I went to pubic school and then to ITT, so I am not considered intelligent or anything....

A question that when answered right hits you up for points ????????

That's why it's sooooooo great to be on workterm

[quote author=Schotty link=board=14;threadid=6144;start=0#58637 date=1043524674]
    How the fuck does that work? Forgive me -- I went to pubic school and then to ITT, so I am not considered intelligent or anything....

A question that when answered right hits you up for points ????????
    [/quote]
    It is an anti-guessing system designed so that if you guess the entire test, you should average out to 0 points. They say that if you work for an hour on the test you should get a higher grade than someone who spent 5 minutes randomly guessing answers to the questions and this method is suppose to guarantee that.

When you answer a question, it subtracts points from your total score and from the possible points you can receive on the question. So lets say some question is worth 5 points and you already have 20 points. If you answer the question correctly, you get go up to 25 points. But if you answer it wrong, your total points will be reduced to, say, 18 points and the possible points you can receive on the question will be reduced from 5 points to, say, 4 points. Now if you answer the question correctly, you go up to 22 points.

What a dumb system...

Good Guru

The Grand Aardvark has read my mind ...

[quote author=Grand Aardvark Kenshi link=board=14;threadid=6144;start=0#58693 date=1043649058]
    What a dumb system...
    [/quote]

I agree, but on the other hand, I agree with what they're trying to do.