Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD

seamonkey

FreeBSD

nice TCP/IP stack.

Re: FreeBSD

You really shouldn't be saying it has a nice stack on this board...we are trying to keep it clean around here! ;D :P

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

seamonkey

hahah. whats wrong with appreciating a nice stack?

You really shouldn't be saying it has a nice stack on this board...we are trying to keep it clean around here! ;D :P

Aragorn

johnqpublic

I've had Free BSD 4.3 for a couple of months.Any of you folks have experience with it.The install looked complicated even though I never tried it.Here good things about it but I did not know if it would be a pain to get up and running.

vikram_nanda

The install was difficult for a newbie like me and the most difficult of all was the memory allocation part-the linux OS got overwritten(had a backup of all imp. files)

johnqpublic

Yea,it do look a bit tricky to install.All my pc's are multi boot so I did not want to play with it and risk messing up something else.

johnqpublic

Me thinks this here forum should be updated to October. : ;D

LOL! I have never touched BSD so I don't know a lick about it! heheh

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

JimH

Me thinks this here forum should be updated to October. : ;D
    Should have waited a few more days and you could have updated to November. :P ;D :

Aaron_Adams

I got a copy of FreeBSD at DefCon and installed it on an old compaq box I have. It wasn't overly difficult I thought, it detected everything fine too, which was surprising. The neatest thing about the install was the display of kb/s it was installing at. Haven't seen that feature before. I haven't had too much of a chance to use it yet. I haven't gotten around to getting a new hub so there can be room for it on the network. The first thing I noticed with it though: No /etc/shadow. Its /etc/master.passwd hehe. Kinda wierd. Also all the rc.* files are just in the /etc folder instead of /etc/rc.d .

The more I use it the more I'll comment on it / recommend its use.