Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

ISA Sound Card
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISA Sound Card

ISA Sound Card

Hello, I was thinking of setting up my 486 as a deticated mp3 playing box...it only has 1 isa expansion slot, so i was wondering if anyone had a sound card that would work well in linux...also, do u think its possible that a 486 could handle playing a ton of mp3's?
    -CJ

Re:ISA Sound Card

I have one and since it's an older soundblaster card I think it's supported quite nicely in Linux...

Kind Mastermind

I have an old isa soundcard as well that is well supported in Linux (it's an ess based card). As for a 486 being able to handle mp3 playing on a large scale, I would say that it would have absolutely no problems doing so.

Cheers

cool thanks! so, anyone wanna trade some parts for one? ;D

I should have some creative ct1600 sound cards around (Old soundblaster card.) I don't really need much in the area of hardware, most of my systems are fairly modern.. I mean, I could use that 21" viewsonic monitor, and a wireless base station w/wireless pcmcia card, and .. Nothing really equiv to a sound card -- save perhaps an ISA 10mbps nic.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=cj171 link=board=16;threadid=5921;start=0#56478 date=1040615077]
    cool thanks! so, anyone wanna trade some parts for one? ;D
    [/quote]

You pay postage and it's yours. PM me.

Hello, I was thinking of setting up my 486 as a deticated mp3 playing box...it only has 1 isa expansion slot, so i was wondering if anyone had a sound card that would work well in linux...also, do u think its possible that a 486 could handle playing a ton of mp3's?
    -CJ
    I made a mp3 box outta an old 486. You are going to need a 120mhz one though, mine was 100mhz and i just installed a very minimal linux system and mpg123 and the mp3s skipped, I had to over-clock it to 120mhz.

aww crap, mines an early one, like a 36mhz or something...and its a elektek..they made it so the processor was soldered to the mobo..and it wasnt even an intel 486...it looks to be TI or something...
    -CJ

Mentor

I'm sorry I disagree with that. I had win95 installed and playing mp3's fine on a 486 DX2/66. So it may have been the setup. Give it a try at least.

yea, i will anyways ;D