Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

File Sharing: NTFS Volume

Thread: File Sharing: NTFS Volume

File Sharing: NTFS Volume

I currently have my mp3s stored on a NTFS partition within a machine that I duel boot with Linux. Now, I hardly ever use Windows and 90% of the time Linux is running with the NTFS volume mounted read-only. I want to share those mp3s with my Linux laptop when I'm around campus, how can I do that?

From my limited experience, I understand that NFS can't help me. Is this possible with SAMBA?

Here's a diagram incase I'm not being descriptive enough.

I want to be able to do this:

Linux Machine w/NTFS volume mounted ----- > file sharing < ----- Linux Laptop

Thanks in advance.
    michae|

Re:File Sharing: NTFS Volume

From the look of the diagram, you want to access the share from a Linux laptop. Is that the only machine you want to use to access your music? If so, NFS is all you need.

Good Guru

Since it's native Linux to Linux sharing ( eventhough you are mounting NTFS volume ), you can share with using NFS.

Although SAMBA also will work for you, it would be extra layer of software added needlessly. But if you want to give a spin for the heck of it, you can also do it via SAMBA share as well.

[quote author=segfault link=board=4;threadid=6131;start=0#58229 date=1042970736]
    From the look of the diagram, you want to access the share from a Linux laptop. Is that the only machine you want to use to access your music? If so, NFS is all you need.
    [/quote]

Oh. I misunderstood NFS I guess. However, when I mount the NTFS volume using NFS and try to ls, nothing shows up.

Good Guru

Test your configuration by trying to do everything locally.

What I mean is -- try mounting your NFS shares on that same box. IE. You have box 192.168.0.1 exporting /home/mp3. Mount it on that box (testing the configuration essentially) by doing a

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/home.mp3 /mnt/test/mp3

If it works there, its a client issue. If it doesnt work, you may want to post your /etc/exports file for us to review.

One thing that I can't say for certain, is since NTFS is RO, you may be running into an issue with problems shareing a RO FS. I wouldn't necessarily be suprised if this is it.

Best bet all around -- get the mp3's off of that volume and onto a volume linux can deal with a bit better. Use an ext3/resier/fat/xfs ANYTHING but NTFS.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6131;start=0#58253 date=1043012594]
    Test your configuration by trying to do everything locally.

What I mean is -- try mounting your NFS shares on that same box. IE. You have box 192.168.0.1 exporting /home/mp3. Mount it on that box (testing the configuration essentially) by doing a

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/home.mp3 /mnt/test/mp3

If it works there, its a client issue. If it doesnt work, you may want to post your /etc/exports file for us to review.

One thing that I can't say for certain, is since NTFS is RO, you may be running into an issue with problems shareing a RO FS. I wouldn't necessarily be suprised if this is it.
    [/quote]

I tried doing a local mount and the files still don't show up. Here's my /etc/exports:

/mnt192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,sync)

That's all. Thank you very much for your help and time.

michae|

Good Guru

hmmm --- try this : whatever you mounted XP as, export that directly. So if you are mounting it @ /mnt/winxp then export /mnt/winxp. That could be your problem.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=6131;start=0#58308 date=1043053743]
    hmmm --- try this : whatever you mounted XP as, export that directly. So if you are mounting it @ /mnt/winxp then export /mnt/winxp. That could be your problem.
    [/quote]

Actually, I can only mount child directories. I think I'm going to try converting the partition to FAT. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

Good Guru

yeah.

Get rid of NTFS for FAT16.

Get rid of NFS for OpenAFS

Design a scheme that doesnt do daisy chained mounting.